Girl Scout Banquet Slight Vent...with a Question

DD's Girl Scout banquet is this evening from 5-7 pm. When place/time was announced via text on Monday, I asked if family was welcomed, if we were to dress our kids up, and if there would be food. Leader answered a couple hours later saying family was welcomed and to dress nicely with vest/sash because she wanted a picture. No response about the food.

So yesterday morning I posted on the troop's FB page asking again about the food saying that I wanted to know if we needed to have an early dinner. No response from leader or anyone else who might know about food.

I'm ready to call the troop leader to ask, but I'm seriously starting to think that my questions are being viewed as me being a PITA. As far as I can tell, I am the only parent out of like 20 girls asking questions about the banquet...but honestly I do not think my questions are unreasonable.

Am I out of line to expect to know if there will be food or light snacks for something happening from 5-7 (which is during dinner time for most families)?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 AM on May. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• Since its a banquet most of the time food is served, but everyone should have been informed about everything either by posting all details on the FB page or mentioned in the meetings.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:05 AM on May. 4, 2013

• "Banquet" to me implies food. Ours were always a pot luck!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:05 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Not out of line st all.....

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Banquet=food
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:06 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Common sense tells me that banquet equals food, also......BUT last year's GS banquet DID NOT have food. The year before they supposedly had a big sit down meal for families, but said there were too many people when my DD was in the troop. This is a new troop and I really have no idea what to expect. I would assume no pot-luck being that I was never asked to bring something, but who knows because no one will answer my question.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 11:14 AM on May. 4, 2013

• I have not heard of a banquet without food. Its usually potluck or if there is enough money its catered. Maybe arrive early and have something on hand just in case it is a potluck.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:17 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Since it's being held during dinnertime & it's called a banquet, I would assume food is provided. But like you said, with your dau's troop, it's not safe to assume anything. That would be frustrating to not know & not get a response back from the troop leader. Hope you hear from her soon so you know how to plan accordingly.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Give her a small meal or snack before you go. Worse case scenario she'll eat after 7. Take her to Friendly's or what ever is around you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:23 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Well, the word banquet means feast or ceremonial meal, so that means food. Given what's happened before, I'd give her maybe half a sandwich before you and plan to stop for a quick bite after, just in case. If there is no food, I'd be a pain and explain the definition of banquet to them. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:55 AM on May. 4, 2013

• No, but I would feed her before you go. I would also address the troop leader in person and have a discussion about your concerns and questions if not answered look for the person under them in the boy scouts its the Akiba so do not let your questions go unanswered.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:58 PM on May. 4, 2013