I feel really hurt. (Vent.)

Most of the time, I can get past the fact that I live in the same city as my parents and siblings but have nothing to do with them. I wouldn't have chosen for things to be this way, but they are, because they either accept my boyfriend and his special needs son as part of my family or they get none of us. Once in a while, though, it really hurts.

My brother and his gay partner have been fostering a little boy for the last three years, since he was seven months old. They're having him baptized tomorrow into the Catholic faith. My dad is going to be his godfather, no less. A whole church mass and everything.

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all except that when my boyfriend and I had a dedication for our daughter as an infant, my parents refused to even show up for the ceremony. A supportive aunt was given the role of godmother. My parents said having our daughter, their flesh and blood granddaughter, dedicated in a Christian church was hypocritical, since she was born out of wedlock. Oh well, their loss. But now they're going all out for my brother's kid, and my dad is going to be the godfather and my mom an honorary godmother? And religion isn't even all that important to any of them, the way it always has been for me. I'm really hurt and angry.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• Sorry :(
    We can't choose our biological family but we can choose our actions. Live happily. It's the best revenge!!!
    wifemomteacher

Answer by wifemomteacher at 11:34 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I'm sorry. I know it doesn't help, but you are doing what is right for you and your family. If they can't love you unconditionally, they don't deserve you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:31 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I'm sorry, sounds as though they are very one sided.. I know how that feels too. Hugs
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:10 PM on May. 4, 2013

• We cannot change the way people may think. I hope you will be there for your brother and his family tomorrow.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:19 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I am sorry about all of this. I know how much it must hurt. Stay connected with that supportive aunt and be around those you can lean on. hug
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:27 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I am so sorry, this would hurt anyone, reach out to those who want to still be connected and discard those who don't.....

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2013