5 Point harness or change to booster with car seatbelt??? We have Graco Nautilus

My son is almost 6 years old and weighs 43 pounds. I think using the 5 point harness as long as possible is safest but wondering if now is a good time to make the switch? I know it can use 5 point to 65 pounds but am thinking that maybe we should change it? Not to succumb to peer pressure but I am thinking an almost 1st grader would also be made fun of for having a "car seat".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• At only 43 lbs. I would keep him in the 5 point harness. My almost 9 year old is still in a booster seat and he doesn't get made fun of for that. Most kids don't even know what other kids sit in unless they are in the car with them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:51 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Does he mind being in the car seat now? I mean, does he think it's for babies or something? The five point harness is the safest option, so if it isn't bothering him, you might as wel stick with it. My daughter, who is a year younger than your son, still uses a car seat in the family car, but I do sometimes just take a booster if we go along with someone else because it's easier to carry and strap down on the back seat.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:51 PM on May. 4, 2013

• My 7 year old is still comfortably in a 5 point harness.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:53 PM on May. 4, 2013

• NO.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:05 PM on May. 4, 2013

• 5 point harness as long as possible, definitely no booster under 50lbs without harnessing
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:13 PM on May. 4, 2013

• wow I'm surprised he still fits. My 5 year grew out of it height wise a year ago, but he is tall for his age(in the 95th percentile for height, but low for weight). I still have him in the same seat just switched to the booster mode.

If he still fits and the straps are not below his shoulder height then by all means keep him in.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:31 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I came back to ask why the nautilus wasn't working out anymore?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:41 PM on May. 4, 2013

• We have the same car seat here and my son who is now 8 moved out of his 5 point harness last summer AFTER first grade was over. His sister is currently in kindergarten and still in her 5 point harness. Both children now why they are in their seats (safety) and have no issue with it. The Graco is one of the tallest car seats on the market and that is why I bought it. My kids are tall and skinny so weight was not an issue. My son is and has always been 95% or above for height and 15% or below for weight.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2013