What is an average child support payment? Help!?

I am a single mom of 2 kids (12 years and 3 years). I have never been married but the kids have the same dad. He gives me money here and there (like 40-100 bucks sometimes) but no where near consistently. I write down whenever he gives me money and it averages about 40 dollars a month. He is working right now and makes about around 12 dollars an hour. He says he will give money when he can but then is always saying he had so many bills to pay, etc. I pay for everything and I am just asking for something consistently. Of course- he is like do you think I am just blowing all my money? No, I don't think that. The kids were going over to his house before every other weekend but now they are not for various reasons. He sees them sometimes to take them to dinner or go to the park. I am wondering what is the average support for kids? I work full time and do ok ( if i was single, no kids)but every month I am struggling financially.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on May. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• No idea, i got 350 a month for 1
    Anonymous

• It's 25% of the father's income (after taxes) for 2 children.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:18 PM on May. 4, 2013

• That would definitely help! I think it depends on how much he makes and how much I make too. Not sure. Thanks for your answer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on May. 4, 2013

• It all depends on the state, the judge, the parent's income etc. My father had to pay $200 per kid each month with Three kids that was $600 a month.

I never really went after my ex for child support because I knew he never really worked. I did file paper work with Child support but that was it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:21 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I have never filed paperwork with the state either. His work history is spotty too so at times I wouldnt get money anyway. But now he has been working for at least a year and he just doesn't seem to grasp the expenses of children. When we were back together (thus the 3 year old!) and trying to make things work we constantly fought about finances. I am not the best with money but my children do come before me or any sort of social life. He doesn't seem to operate that way although verbally to me he always says he doing the best he can, he will give me money when he can. It is just causing me to get some more resentment towards him and I hate that feeling. I should go to the state but I really wanted to avoid all the legal/court stuff.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on May. 4, 2013

• You should go to the state and get it all done legally. Doesn't sound like he will ever give you much willingly because he likes to spend it on other "bills" things he wants etc.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:34 PM on May. 4, 2013

• There is no average - it depends on his income, and yours, as well as his and your expenses (mortgage/rent, utlities, etc. not stuff like going out, etc.). If your kids have special medical needs or something, that can also influence how much it is.

I would suggest you just go through the courts/state and get it hammered out and in writing so there's no more of this crap.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:54 PM on May. 4, 2013

• You can google child support calculator and your state, put in all the numbers and it will give you a starting point for court. When my husband was working I got $600 for 3 kids, now he's on disability it's 300 - but I have extenuating circumstances, it normally would be higher but they deviated down.

Answer by missanc at 6:13 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Thank you for all the answers I will look into some things online. I know I should go through the court system. My friends and family are always telling me that. I have been a chicken cuz I know he will get irate. He pretty much finds reasons to not like me already so I don't know what I worried about. We are not even friends anymore anyway
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:44 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Who cares if he gets irate? You should be irate that your children are being made to suffer because he doesn't like you or is too lazy to work or whatever excuse has for not paying!

Stop worrying about his feelings and worry about the feelings and needs of your children.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:45 PM on May. 4, 2013