Should I have the talk with my nine year old

Annie105

Asked by Annie105 at 5:33 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• You should have A talk. Age appropriate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:39 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Well, I wouldn't wait too much longer. Did something happened that made you think of this now? Has the kid been asking questions?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:40 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Yes, the first of many talks.

Answer by missanc at 6:08 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Should have had a lot of little talks with the kid already.

Answer by louise2 at 6:08 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Well seeing how my infant car seat went to an eleven year old mom, I'd say it's never too soon.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:24 PM on May. 4, 2013

• YES
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:30 PM on May. 4, 2013

• You should have ongoing talks, not just one.DD had the first of many at age 8 I think.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:35 PM on May. 4, 2013

WHAT?!?!?!? That is crazy!!
    minimo77

• I do not think it's "too early," if that's what you're wondering.

I am not sure what you're envisioning with "The Talk" but I recommend you conceptualize (ha) it as an ongoing conversation, sharing information & answering questions in a way that communicates (lets her know) that this is an approachable subject. Get comfortable with it first, and present it in a conversational way that encourages conversation and questions. It's a lot more than just "The" talk, anyway.

Establish yourself as the one she should ask when things come up. My 9 year old talks to both me & her dad very openly. A question came up for her when she was reading one of the Penderwicks books (there was a statement about how a boy's mother didn't realize she was pregnant when she split up from her husband, then never told him, and my daughter wondered how it was possible "not to know") & we got to clarify that sex doesn't automatically result in pregnancy!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:11 AM on May. 6, 2013