What age did your infant outgrow the bucket seat? (infant carrier car seat)

My little ham is pushing 20 lbs and about to need a new seat.

She's 5 months and I'm thinking this stinks! She's not sitting up yet- she likes to sleep in her carrier- this is going to be WAY inconvenient to go anywhere, I'll be holding a baby all the time and a 3 year old too. I have my ergo but it's still gonna get in my way, bucket seat in the cart is easy peasy.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't bother with the carrier this time, and I sure am glad I didn't! Mine's also getting close to 20 lbs.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:46 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I honestly had the opposite problem. My daughter's pumpkin seat went up to 22 lbs. and my daughter at 29 months is just now 29 lbs. so I HAD to have those stupid things longer than I wanted. She was just too small for the older car seat I had but too old and honestly just too smart for the pumpkin seat. She could get out of the pumpkin seat a LOT easier than her older car seat and I would be whipping the car around every few miles and stuffing my kid's flailing arms back in the dang thing. Believe me the inconvenience of carrying your little one is not as bad as your back's gonna feel if you keep carrying that thing. Your baby weighs a LOT less without it! If you use your baby backpack for your little one and strap your older one into the cart you'll honestly be carrying a lot less than having the little one in the cart and carrying your older one. I couldn't imagine having to do that! This is the way I'll be going for sure!!!
    brilynnsmommy

Answer by brilynnsmommy at 3:54 PM on May. 7, 2013

• both mine, around 5-6 months
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:22 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Never owned a bucket either, but based on the directions I have seen my son would have been out of it before 3 months due to his height. My daughter was shorter so probably would have lasted until about 4-5 months. Mine were in a convertible rear facing until they outgrew them and at 6 years old is still in a 5 point harness and at 8 years old is still in a high back booster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Never owned a "bucket." I don't like them. He was in a convertible from day 1. But he wouldn't have gotten three months in a "bucket."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I am going to move the baby into big sisters convertible marathon and get big sister a combination booster that harnesses to 65+ lbs.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 4, 2013

• DD was 5 months and DS was 6 months. they were both 90% percentile babies so it was a must. we just bought a rear/front facing regular car seat and all was well. trying to lug around a 20 lb baby in a bucket seat was torture!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:43 PM on May. 4, 2013

• 3-4 months. They BOTH were in the 95% (or bigger) for their height/weight. We had to get a conversion seat that was both rear and front facing until they were old/big enough for a booster seat. They hit THOSE benchmarks at 3 (son) and 3.5 (daughter).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:15 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I switched my first to a convertible seat around 4 months, I think. My youngest was about 6 months.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:26 PM on May. 4, 2013

• My baby is apparently GIGANTOR =P
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:04 PM on May. 4, 2013