What age did your infant outgrow the bucket seat? (infant carrier car seat)

My little ham is pushing 20 lbs and about to need a new seat.

She's 5 months and I'm thinking this stinks! She's not sitting up yet- she likes to sleep in her carrier- this is going to be WAY inconvenient to go anywhere, I'll be holding a baby all the time and a 3 year old too. I have my ergo but it's still gonna get in my way, bucket seat in the cart is easy peasy.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 9 months. His head was already over the edge of the seat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Around 7 months. I could just not carry it with her in it & she was uncomfortable too. I put her in the regular car seat but in a slight reclined position because if she fell asleep in the car, her head would fall forward & I was afraid that she wouldn't be able to breath. Her head bopped all over in a straight position. I still haven't put it into an upright position yet but she is ready.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:02 PM on May. 4, 2013

• If the seat is rear facing the recline needs to be set, so you're doing it right. The upright position is for forward facing.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Mine was almost a year, but she was small for her age at first. Now at five, she's average, but it took her over a year to get to twenty pounds.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2013

• My baby is apparently GIGANTOR =P
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:04 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I switched my first to a convertible seat around 4 months, I think. My youngest was about 6 months.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:26 PM on May. 4, 2013

• 3-4 months. They BOTH were in the 95% (or bigger) for their height/weight. We had to get a conversion seat that was both rear and front facing until they were old/big enough for a booster seat. They hit THOSE benchmarks at 3 (son) and 3.5 (daughter).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:15 PM on May. 4, 2013

• DD was 5 months and DS was 6 months. they were both 90% percentile babies so it was a must. we just bought a rear/front facing regular car seat and all was well. trying to lug around a 20 lb baby in a bucket seat was torture!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:43 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I am going to move the baby into big sisters convertible marathon and get big sister a combination booster that harnesses to 65+ lbs.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Never owned a "bucket." I don't like them. He was in a convertible from day 1. But he wouldn't have gotten three months in a "bucket."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 AM on May. 5, 2013