6 month old with constipation

She's always been easily constipated from birth but recently it's been bad enough that she popped a couple hemorrhoids. We tried prune juice but not much luck and glycerin only worked a little to help stuff squish down enough to come out without tearing. She's really not on solid food yet so that's not what's stopping her up and the probiotics in her formula used to help but not anymore.

Any ideas for what to try now?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 6:16 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give her less formula and more solids. try apple sauce. For example if you give her 6oz formula give her 4 oz formula and some rice and apple sauce or prunes in the bottle. Yea yea the dr will not agree. i dont care i have 3 kids i know what im doing. anyway my son whom is now 9 months had the same problem. Its the formula.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried another formula? Are you using a powdered formula? Maybe your pipes have too much iron in them & that's what is constipating her. I'd try premixed liquid formula instead. I have never heard of an infant with hemorrhoids. Have you spoken to the Pediatrician about this?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:25 PM on May. 4, 2013

• formula has iron in it...
    Anonymous

• Poor baby. If she's gotten to the point of hemorrhoids, I'd consult her pediatrician and see if there are any stool softeners recommended for infants.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:28 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I would switch formulas and use bottled water to mix it. I'm so sorry, that must be so painful. If baby is not ready for solids don't start now- that would anger the bottom more than anything.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:38 PM on May. 4, 2013

• She's already on the hypoallergenic formula and the Alimentum made the constipation worse. I guess we could try soy formula and see what happens.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:43 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I don't want to give you bad advice and make it worse lizzie, what did the ped say when you called the office?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:48 PM on May. 4, 2013

• The doctor has said before that we could stop doing the high calorie mix and he thought that would help but it didn't do much. She only takes 2-3 oz of formula at a time so we can't really reduce that, she's small and was born early so that's not a problem according to the doctor. But she did seem to do well in the hospital on the ready to feed formula.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 6:57 PM on May. 4, 2013

• 2 - 3 oz at a time?? wow that is not a lot.. how often is she eating?? Find a new doctor if this one isnt helping. there is nothing wrong with getting another opinion.
    Anonymous

• Do you think you should see a GI specialist?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:21 PM on May. 4, 2013