Medical Billing and Coding

Is it worth the effort to be certified? I am looking to get a job in a small town and it seems that the only positions open are in health care and OTR driving. I certainly don't want to go OTR driving. I have a degree in accounting and my CPA. Would all three things help me move around in an organization?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 7:47 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

• Is there a local hospital in the small town? If so, certtification plus your CPA license may be a fine advantage for you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:03 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Where I live you cannot get a job in medical billing and coding without education/certification. Some places will hire if you have the education and will be taking the test for certification soon. However, I live in a big city and it's a very competitive field here. It might be different in smaller towns.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:11 PM on May. 4, 2013

• There is a hospital here, and two adult clinics and a pediatricians office, plus 3 or 4 dental offices. And of course you have the old folks homes. I really should do it. I just want to know that this is the right classes to be taking to do this.

Thanks ladies.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 9:48 AM on May. 6, 2013

• You have a CPA, so you should be looking for a job in HR and administration at any company. You could also open up a tax prep business. Or, move to a bigger town if a small town will run out of options more quickly due to economy fluctuations. You could also try to get freelance accounting jobs that are online through Elance.com. The medical billing/coding job will look kind of odd with your background. You could be making so much more if you focused on pure accounting jobs. I believe medical field is being digitized so that info flows directly now, so medical billing, coding and transcription jobs are dying.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2013

• Interesting. Moving is not an option, but a good suggestion. The town is too small and not a fan of out of towners, so opening my own place would be throwing money away. I have looked at that option, but it doesn't seem feasible. I

I have never heard of elance.com. I will look into that.

Thanks.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2013