My one year old has a hard time pooping.

Ever since she was 6 months and is not getting better. My doctor recently put her on miralax, but last night she produced another monster that she needed help to pass and she cried a lot. I wonder if I should take her to a specialist or if someone had the same problem what did you do? Please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A friend of mine uses mineral oil and says it works every time. Never tried it myself, though.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i would talk to some one but have you tried a prun typt juice? maybe that will help loosen it up to pass easyer your best bet might be to talk to a nurse see what they recomend weather it be certin food or juices. to loosen it up. good luck mama.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• she needs more fiber. Feed her foods high in fiber like prunes, peached apricts most fruits have a good bit of fiber. EXECPT banana's. One would think a banana would pass easily, but this is not the case. It will harden your stool.Fiber is essential for soft happy pooping. And you can get plenty of it from fresh foods.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Fiber is a great first option. Avoid Bananas and Rice. Stock up on broccoli, green beans, prunes, peaches. Check the dietary fiber on food labels as well..you'd be surprised which things might have it which have none.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would talk to her doctor again. The other things people have mentioned are good for a kid with occasional problems and who aren't already under a doctor's care for the problem. Certainly skip on trouble foods and limit dairy to no more than 20 ounces a day. But your child may have a medical condition or she may simply need a higher daily dose of Miralax. Talk to your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Thansk all for responding.
    I need to add that she has been eating prunes, drinking prune juice, eating papaya, adding olive oil in her food, eats vegetables and loves fruits and so far nothing has made it easier and more natural for her. She makes it very big and hard too. It's very painful and frustrating to watch.
    sokin

Answer by sokin at 11:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my son takes lactulose to help make it softer. ask the doc for a prescription.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009