Low hormone levels, no visable Embryo on U/S, positive urine tests?

Just wondering what is going on. I'm having trouble finding answers on the net and my doctor is giving me so many possibilities right now that I have no clue.

Here is the situation.

I have IUD and missed my period by a week. My breasts are sore, my complexion is amazing which only happens when I'm pregnant and my belly is bloated. (I already have 2 kids). So I took a pregnancy test and it came out positive. I waited until that evening then took another and it was again positive. The next morning I took a 3rd test and it was positive so I called my doctor. I think I should mention that these were just Dollar Tree pregnancy tests, nothing fancy.

I went in that day and had an ultra sound but there was nothing to be seen anywhere. Nothing in the uterus, the tubes or the general area outside of the uterus. My IUD was still in place right where it should be. My doctor took my blood to test for hGC and that came back only as 67. I thought that was a little low since I had 3 positive urine tests. 48 hours later (today) she tested my blood again and the hGC levels had doubled to 152. From my understand this is still low for positive urine tests and to be a week late for my period.

My doctor is going to draw my blood again on Monday and see what the levels are then but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and what it lead to? My doctor is leaning on two possibilities a very early pregnancy in the uterus or a very early pregnancy outside the uterus or possibly a miscarriage.

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 9:38 PM on May. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• In internal ultrasound can detect a heartbeat at 5 weeks. Have you had an internal one done?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:43 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Yes, that is the type of ultrasound they used.
    Inle_Rabbit

Comment by Inle_Rabbit (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2013

• Just thought I would update in case anyone find this later and wants to know what happened. It turns out the baby is where it is suppose to be but it was just very, very early. I'm typing this a full 20 days after asking the question and I'm only 6 weeks along. WOW! I can't believe the darn Dollar Tree test even picked up a pregnancy. So anyway there's baby on the way!
    Inle_Rabbit

Comment by Inle_Rabbit (original poster) at 4:41 PM on May. 24, 2013