Wisdom teeth questions?

So I have a couple questions that maybe one of you can help me with at least till Monday because the dentist office is closed, lol!
So I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled Friday, no cutting they were all already out! So that night of course it hurt pretty good, I applied ice, took Ibuprofen and ate only ice cream and bananas and drank cold liquids. The next day they barely hurt, continued the ibuprofen and ate all soft foods (eggs, macaroni, applesauce, etc) then that night I ate like normal again, hot foods, a little harder things but still no straw and no spitting while brushing teeth!
So this morning I wake up and it's almost like me mouth hurts more today than yesterday, not quite like the first day, and not unbearable pain but pain! It's also sore and swollen! Now my dentist did say that if I was going to swell it would do so and few days after procedure! Does this all sound normal? Does it sound like a dry socket? How would I know if I had a dry sockets

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 5, 2013 in Health

• Sounds like your mouth is healing. Everything is getting tighter & closing. If you get a funny taste in your mouth or run a fever then call your Dentist ASAP. Did the Dentist give you a sheet of what to expect? Call in the morning & ask.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:40 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I had mine surgically removed when I was 17 - 17 years ago, so I don't remember every last detail. But I do seem to recall that it felt better after a day or two, then felt worse for a day or two. Today is Sunday, so I'm going to say unless the pain is unbearable (meaning no response to aspirin or pain meds or whatever), or you suddenly get a fever, wait until morning and then call the dentist.

Looking up symptoms of dry socket, it says that bad breath and a bad taste can be symptoms. So I'd say if you get a bad taste, then you might want to worry. Bad breath...I guess ask your hubby to smell your breath? lol

Hope you feel better soon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:08 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I've had dry socket and believe me when I tell you, you would know! The pain is unbearable!
    Sounds like you're healing. Keep doing what you're doing.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:49 AM on May. 5, 2013

• If you had drugs, they may have worn off. Either take more, or you'll just have to deal with the pain.
    Also, your mouth is definitely going to hurt while it's healing, with OR without drugs.
    It sucks. I had to have all four of mine SHATTERED and picked out tiny piece by piece because they were growing in completely sideways. :-/
    poeticsong725

Answer by poeticsong725 at 12:03 PM on May. 5, 2013

• A dry socket is very painful. I had two. It's hard to describe, but some pain you get is sort of achy, itchy healing pain, like when you have a scab. That's okay. A dry socket feels raw, hot, miserable, sort of like when you get an infected cut. You'l also get sort of a metallic taste in your mouth, and if you put your tongue where the tooth was removed, you won't feel any gooey tissue stuff there. That's why you aren't supposed to use a straw or spit while brushing, because you could dislodge the blood clot and soft tissue that will eventually harden, creating a dry socket instead of a tissue-filled hole that will heal over. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:47 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I agree with the others this is pretty normal and believe me if you had a dry socket you feel like banging yr head against the wall just to feel some other type of pain. it is extremely painful.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 2:20 PM on May. 7, 2013