Anyone know how closely a check gets looked at?

Was given a check where the numbers are five dollars more than the written amount. The word 'five' was not written. The numbers are very clear and big, though. Do you know if it will be declined at the bank? I would assume so, but really don't know how carefully this is checked evey time. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• It should be declined at the bank. At the very best they will cash it for the written amount only. That is the most important monetary information on the check.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Just ask the person who wrote you the check to write you another one.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:25 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I worked in a bank about 12 years ago. If I'm remembering correctly, what I was taught was that you compare the numerical amount to the written amount ($5.00 to five dollars), and if they don't match, you refuse to complete the transaction. Now, of course, that's what we were taught, whether everyone actually did it is another story. I would ask for another check, filled in correctly. No concern about whether or not it will be a problem then.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:27 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Yes, just contacted the person who wrote it and they will reissue. Just wondering though...........
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on May. 5, 2013

• If the ATM machine can scan a hand written check and digitally read the amount back to me I'm pretty sure the little thing the tellers scan it through can pick that up too, even if the teller doesn't notice. And even if it clears that, someone will eventually notice and your account could be penalized.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:54 PM on May. 5, 2013

• thanks ladies!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on May. 5, 2013