Tell me I'm not the only mom out there that has a 2 and a half year old that's not potty trained?!!!

I don't know, I'm just a little nervous to start, I have a feeling he's right there at the line of being ready but not quite! I feel like if I start now he won't quite get it! He still poops in his diaper and runs away and says "no" when I've asked him if he's pooped! Also I'm not quite sure how to handle his potty training while outside the house! What if he needs to poop while in the car and he can't hold? Do I pull over to a restaurant to let him go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• My daughter was three and a half before she was ready. When she got on board with potty training, we were done in ten days, no accidents even at night. Don't push the issue, even if everyone around you is giving you grief. Each kid is different.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:15 PM on May. 5, 2013

• you are far from only mom with a 2.5 that is not potty trained yet

Summer a great time to do it - if you do the naked potty training tactic
    no diaper, no pill up, and no undies, just a long T shirt
    hopefully your child does not like the feeling of it running down their leg

mine would go to potty every time if she had nothing on under her T shirt dress
    but if she had anything covering- she just went in it

some use sticker chart reward system- heard this works well for some kids... mine could not have cared less after a few stickers
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:33 AM on May. 5, 2013

• There are as many "methods" for potty training as there are kids, and everyone thinks theirs is the "right" way. You need to trial and error it to figure out what works best for your child, and that includes what age it happens. Kids train later now than they used to, mostly because they've never been uncomfortable before. They'll get it before kindergarten, so don't freak out if it's not done by midnight on their 3rd birthday.

Most important is that you need to not be stressed about it, because he'll pick up on that, and then he'll be stressed about it, and the whole thing will be a big ordeal it doesn't need to be.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:35 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I made sure mine was potty trained before his 3rd b-day. I started in July and he was going by August (Birthday in October), but I couldn't get him to pee standing up until December. For me it was not too bad because we had tile floors throughout the whole house, so it was easy to just let him wander around in real underwear.
    I kept a little portable potty in the trunk of the car so if he needed to go, we would just pull right over and he would sit on the side of the road if it was not possible to get to a bathroom. You can find car seat potty training protector's to go I his car seat.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:29 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Nah. Mine were both trained around 3 years old. I tried earlier with one of my sons, and he wasn't ready yet. He pushed back and it ended up taking longer because of it. Wait until he's ready and it will be a much easier process for you both.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:06 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Three sons, one was potty trained by 2 1/2, the others took a little longer. Don't be too hard on yourself...or your little one, the all do different things at different times.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:10 AM on May. 5, 2013

• I've potty trained 4 boys so far and none of them potty trained until right around their 3rd birthday. I started by sitting them on the potty before a bath since they'd inevitably pee once the diaper came off, either in my floor or in the tub. Peeing in the potty was not that hard but no. 2 was a whole other obstacle. All kids are different. My third never needed a "bedtime diaper or pull-up." I don't remember him peeing the bed at all once I took him out of diapers during the day. Not the case for my other kids. For us, it's been a slow process every time.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2013

• Mine wasn't fully potty trained until a month before his 4th birthday. I think around the 3rd birthday is average, so at 2 and a half you're fine.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:48 PM on May. 5, 2013

• mine were both done by 2 1/2 ish

BUT

When I worked at the daycare- most of the 2 yr olds were not, and a lot of the 3's weren't either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:40 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Only 1 of my 5 were potty trained by 2 1/2, most were close to 3. My 4 yo goes to preschool in a 3 yo class (late birthday) but most of the kids in there are 4. One or two of them still aren't full potty trained. So at 2 1/2 you have nothing to worry about!
    My boys were later starting to train, but it only took like 3 days for them to have it down daytime and night and they had extremely few accidents.
    We stayed home for the 3-4 days it took to potty train, no pull-up, no diaper, just a tshirt. I used m&ms for treats - 3 for pee, 5 for bms. They love m&ms and couldn't wait to go!

Answer by missanc at 2:07 PM on May. 5, 2013