What are your favorite hymns?

I'm Christian, so the hymns I love are of that sort, but I'm perfectly interested in hearing about the cherished songs of other faiths as well.

One of my favorite hymns is "Here I Am, Lord"--it was played at my confirmation. I also love the Doxology, and some of the traditional hymns like "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Just as I Am"--and the Catholic one I can't recall the name of that says, "He will raise you up on eagle's wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun and hold you in the palm of His hand." They played that at my grandma's funeral.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:41 PM on May. 5, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love Amazing Grace and It Is Well With My Soul...bc I love the story behind them,!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:57 PM on May. 5, 2013

• It's a Christmas Hymn I guess... but I love We Three Kings. I also love Eagle's Wings and Amazing Grace.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on May. 5, 2013

• "Up from the Ground He Arose," "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder," "How Great Thou Art," and "It Is Well"

Answer by missanc at 6:57 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I love the old hymns, The Old Rugged Cross, Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art etc. Love them!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:48 PM on May. 5, 2013

• How Great Thou Art, The Old Rugged Cross, and Bringing in the Sheaves. I love Amazing Grace too but they played it at my dad's funeral so I can't listen to that one without crying, even if he was an asshole.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:05 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Just A Closer Walk With Thee, Blessed Assurance, In the Sweet By and By, Victory in Jesus, most old time gospel hymns.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Haha, two of the ones you mentioned (here I am Lord, and the one about eagle's wings) were my favorite from back when we were Catholic

It's hard for me to pick favorites, I love music, and even though I'm not exactly orthodox in my beliefs I do still love many hymns :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:01 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I'll Fly Away
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:40 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I forgot about "It is Well." I particularly like that one, too. I'm not recalling who wrote it, but I believe I heard he was on a sea voyage and his wife and daughter had recently died. He was looking out on the endless ocean waves and reflecting on how his faith in God was deeper than his sorrow about the tragic circumstances of his life.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:07 PM on May. 5, 2013