Discipline

My daughter is 16 months old and getting to the point were she doesn't like to listen to me anymore. When she is doing something wrong I'll tell her no and if she still does it she goes into her room for a time out but as soon as she comes out of her room she starts doing it again. I don't believe in spanking kids so I won't do that but I'm just wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice on what else to do so she doesn't think that I'm just playing with her when I tell her no.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First I'd stop sending her to her room for time outs. Time out should be no toys, no books, no anything....try a corner or specific spot.

If she comes out of time out and goes right back to what she was doing wrong, put her right back in time out. If she does it again, put her back. Put her back. Put her back. She'll get it. Just be sure you tell her "NO" each time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:41 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing as TiccledBlue.... Use a corner or a time out chair...and everything else she said.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i know where you are coming from. my DD just turned 2 and she is a hand full. it only gets worse :( if you can find a place out of the way that is boring like the end of a hall or a corner to do time out helps, and a water squirter :) my DD loves the water but like the dogs she knows that the water squirter means business... it doesn't hurt her at all but for some odd reason they think it is the worst thing ever, i don't even have to squirt it any more just touch it or say the word and she knows. and no she has no fright of the play like gun water squirters, just the one that looks like a bottle. good luck, nothing i have found keeps them totally in line

setliff

Answer by setliff at 11:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There needs to be a designated timeout area. We have a certain chair. The only person who sits in it is him and only when he is in timeout. Do not use her room as a timeout. It starts to give a negative feeling to her room. Make sure you explain to her why she is there. Our son has to sit in his chair until he calms down. He seems to throw a fit when he gets in trouble. So we wait the 30-60 seconds for him to calm down and then we tell him "no hitting" or "no throwing" or whatever else he did. Then and only then is he allowed to get up and he gives us a hug. If he does it again, we go through the same routine. At that age, they are testing boundaries. Just be very consistent and stick to your guns.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009