SO of the Question: "If your 16 year old wanted to get an abortion", What if your Son's GF wanted the abortion?

I have seen the 2 questions about daughters getting abortions and if you would support it or not, but what about the boys/men getting these girls pregnant? Do they have any say what so ever?
I have 2 boys, no girls, so I always wonder does the boy get a say ever? If the girl wants the abortion, or the girl wants to give the baby up, does the father have any say legally or morally?

I have watched my brother struggle with custody issues and it terrifies me, because I know the girls usually have all the say, all the rights, and I would hate if my son wasn't aloud to have any rights to his child.

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Being a mom of two sons, I would be heartsick if I knew their gf had an abortion w/o first giving the family a choice as to whether or not they wanted to raise the baby.
    If this should happen, I hope I never learn of it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:41 PM on May. 5, 2013

• It would suck but at the same time, I don't want my 16 year old son being a father either. Besides, I don't get a say in the matter. I firmly believe in her body, her choice.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:09 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I have two boys also, and I hope they never get someone pregnant without them deciding with their partners to have a child. If it does happen though, it has to be her choice. You can't force a woman to carry a pregnancy any more than you can force her to have an abortion. Pregnancy rights can never be equal unless either person could carry a baby. Since that's not biologically possible, she will always have to have the final say.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:02 PM on May. 5, 2013

• He would have no say if she wanted an abortion, and while that is a heartbreaking thought that I might lose a grandchild because of it, it is her choice. As for the adoption, both parents have to give up rights to the child for it to be adopted. She doesn't get to choose to have the child adopted without his permission. If she does try it he can contest it and when paternity is proven he will win.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:46 PM on May. 5, 2013

• her body, her choice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:42 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I don't think a man or boy can stop his girlfriend from getting an abortion. If she gives up the child for adoption, he does have a right to parent the child himself. For the child to go to someone besides the other parent, both parents have to give up their rights.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2013

• The son/male has no say. To if she has the child or aborts the child. He does have one thing? Not to have sex and get a girl pregnant in the first place. That is what you should be pushing. See I had 2 girls, no boys. So I had to push "You better not get pregnant or else".
    Males can not trust the female when she says I am on BC or I can not get pregnant.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I would feel incredibly sad. I know it's out of my hands but I would feel heartbroken.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:50 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I do think the dad should get some say in it. That said, if she had the baby and let us keep it (my son) I would more than happily cover hospital expenses. Of course I might insist on her signing away her parental rights as well. Really depends on the whole picture .
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:58 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I believe they can go to court and petition. That does not mean they would win. I do know that if the woman is giving the child up, the man can petition to be given custody. The earlier in the pregnancy the better. Again asking is not the same as getting, butthere is that chance.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:05 PM on May. 5, 2013