I've decided now what is my next step?

I have been dating my boyfriend for 2 1/2 yrs. We've had our ups and downs but we always discuss it rationally, respectfully and in the end are still together. I've decided that when my daughter graduates (she is a junior), I'm moving closer to him. I've been wanting to move from this city for many yrs. It has been a tough choice and one I haven't made lightly.

I don't know where to start or when to start. I'm kinda lost here. Help!

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 7:54 PM on May. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• You have about one year until she graduates. First is deciding what she will do after graduation. Is she going to college, going with you or moving into her own place.
    Then the next step IMO is to go through every item you won and decide if is something you want to keep and move or if youw ant to get rid of it. Pack as much of it as you can and label it. From what you do not want see if there are things you are discarding that she would like to have fr her new place (if that is in the picture) Pack that up and label it clearly.
    Everything else Take somewhere and donate it and save the receipts. There will be things that you will want to use until you are packing the last. You may have usable glasses but would rather have new, use them until you move and discard them at your present place.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:01 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Time to start saving your money for one. Do you need to down size your stuff? Start going through your stuff and seeing what you do not want or need any more?  Have you talked to him?

Answer by louise2 at 8:01 PM on May. 5, 2013

• You can start looking at the job market at any rate. Find out what you can expect to earn in that market, so you don't get any rude surprises.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:22 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Sounds like from the other comments you have been doing what you needed to do good luck to you!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 8:41 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Except for those things. Just wait tell graduation comes. That like a year away right?  So you have plenty of time to go through your stuff.  do you have to look for a different job?

Answer by louise2 at 8:12 PM on May. 5, 2013

• I think the next step is to focus on your relationship! lol

I just mean it in the sense of staying with what's real, staying grounded & present. A decision like this can be a powerful & enticing distraction, like wedding planning, which can provide a way to avoid your actual experience. Not the healthiest thing.

Live in the present , make your plans as needed (thinking about the job change & what you might want to explore, considering variables such as location & the housing market) and make sure that you two are actually relating (not just making plans, which is fun.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:39 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Yes, we have had many conversations about this. We are looking at either buying or renting a house or a condo. We are both leaning towards a house. I do need to start down sizing and I've already started saving. So, I guess I have started and didn't realize it.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:07 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Yes, I will have to find a different job, but I think it's far too soon for that. It's a year away.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:18 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Are you the one with the two boys? It's probably not too soon to start looking at schools online and narrowing down the neighborhoods you want to live in based on the schools you like.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:47 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Yes, I have 2 boys but they will still attend the school they are at since I only have them every other weekend.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:14 PM on May. 5, 2013