is there anyone on here with kids who have autism? and can you tell me what the symptoms are of autism?

greenegurls

Asked by greenegurls at 11:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The first signs that I saw in my dd were
    no eye contact
    would stare at nothing
    did not respond to her name
    did not point to anything
    could clap your hands right infront of her, no response
    My daughter has PDD which is a mild form of autism.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There are a lot of different signs for a lot of different kids with a lot of different diagnoses.

I have one being watched for Asperger's and one for PDD-NOS. The only thing they have in common is SPD.

Generally, though....

Lack of social skills or ability to function in a social situation.
    SPD
    Lack of speech, regression in speech (to varying degrees)
    Lack of eye contact, ability to maintain eye contact.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't have a child with autism, but I saw a special on tv about it. The Dr. showed the first thing they do to test for autism... Let them play normally, then come in to the room behind them and call their name. If they don't respond to their name, it is a sign of autism. Of course this is not conclusive, just a first test. You have to rule out hearing problems, the chance that the child may be busy and ignoring you etc. It is best to have more than one person do this to make sure they are not responding to anyone. Won't give you a diagnosis, but may put your mind at ease.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Flymom is correct.. that is exactly what my dd would do...
    Someone would enter our home, with her in that room and she never would look at them.
    On her first visit to the developemental doctor, when her doctor walked into the room my dd never turned to look at her. Thank God above my dd is much, much better now.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009