Do You Allow Stranger's To Touch Your Children?

Yesterday while celebrating my now 7 yr old sons b-day at friendlys restaurant, my hubby & I decided to put our 8 month old daughter in a high chair for the very first time which exposed her to PEOPLE. It was going so well until an older woman (70-80 yrs old) was leaving the restaurant with her family and as she walked by our table, she cupped my daughters chin & was slidding her hand across her face??? Her sweater then got caught in my daughters week old pierced ears and I could see it pull. Fortunately it un-snagged itself quickly without any damage but the woman just continued to walk while my baby girl was now screaming her head off because her earring was pulled. I just sat in amazement and my hubby asked her what she was doing but she just smiled at us and I doubt she could hear him at all. She didn't have a clue what happened. My question is.... HOW CAN I *POLITELY* TELL PEOPLE NOT TO TOUCH MY KIDS?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think there is a polite way....and I certainly would never turn an old person away. I just couldn't do it. I have wipes if I think my kid needs cleaned off after someone touches them.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't know I hate when it happens but I had problems with people touching my child too.. Id keep him as close me to me as possible.. Last week I had to go to the DR office.. and had no one to watch him so I HAD to take my son.. he's 11 months old and we were sitting there he was being soooo good and this lady decided to walk over to the toys pick out one after looking at them all and came over sat in front of us to play with my son. THANK GOD THEY CALLED HER BACK AT THAT MOMENT. I was so grossed out because were at the dr office and I didn't want him getting sick and I don't want him playing with those germ filled toys. But I didn't want to say anything to her because I didn't want to be rude.. Also she had that "hard" looking interrior so It hought it was sweet that she wanted to play with my son. I don't know.. I have/had a hard time wtiht his as well
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just say please don't touch her...they might think your rude but some people just need to be informed. If they give you an attitude just say how would you like it if strange people started touching your face. In the end you feel worse if you don't say anything.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Why do people touch other peoples kids? I don't get it!!! Especially on their faces!!! Even touching my babies hands freaks me out becuase she's teething and puts them in her mouth. I mean I don't know you from adams and I haven't a clue where your hands have been. It just drives me bonkers but I just dont know how to ask people not to touch my kids without sounding like a bitch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It was just a little old lady. She wasn't intentionally trying to hurt her. She was trying to be nice. Lighten up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i so know what you mean. and i have no clue :( for some reason people just love to touch your kids and i use to freak out so bad with my first DD. people don't think about the germs and stuff they are putting on babies. if i ever seen anyone even thinking about coming near my DDs i would get between them or do something that would make it hard for them to at least touch their faces. i don't like them touching their hands either but i can clean them better and to me it isn't as bad as touching the face. specially older people i feel so bad cause they act like it is the highlight of their life just to talk and touch your child. ???

setliff

Answer by setliff at 11:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I really don't care how old she was. I just REALLY have a problem with people touching my kids. I leave gloves on in warm weather, it's just ridiculous that people cant goo goo ga ga without touching. My kids health is so much more important. It's because she was an older lady I didnt go running behind her.. I am such a easy going person but when people touch my kids, my claws come out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just carry wipes with you so you can clean your baby after people touch her. Old people are pretty much senile, they don't know what's right and what's wrong anymore. Plus they are pretty much set in their old ways. But really lighten up, they don't mean harm by touching your baby. She's probably really cute and everyone wants to hold, touch a cute baby!!

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 12:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If it is a quick touch I am ok with it (I have wipes) but if they start to do more touching alot longer then I kind of say come on let's go and leave.

I try not to touch no one's baby but sometimes some babies are so irressitible you have too...:)

I am hispanic and alot of hispanics believe in the "evil eye" I don't....well it depends on the situation. Some believe if you see a very beautiful child and you DON'T touch them something can develope such as the baby will start to be discomfort of any way like crying alot or ear aches or something like that I don't want to believe in that because it happens anyway to the babies, but for it to happen right after a person does not touch the baby I think that is strange.

Just another strange myth.. I guess.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• OMG I know how you feel! I was eating out, and the waitress GAVE my 8 month old son her KEYS can you believe it?! AND he put the tag thing in his MOUTH..I was freaking out, I just said NO NO hunny don't put that in your mouth and took them away, gave them back to her. Also I was shopping and some older woman took his hand and I believe in GERMS lol. I think the best thing you can do, is say " oh she doesn't like being touched at all by stranger's, she always cries' make a joke of it type thing, kinda laugh it off.

Anonymous