Drink/snack ideas for 30 volunteers?

On Tuesday, I have a corporate volunteer group coming to the school to do various projects (some inside, some outside). I bought a case of water and I am getting some Little Debbie's donated. I went to the store today to get some cokes but they were $5 for one 12 pack or $11 for three 12 packs. I only have about $10 to spend on this and I have already used $3 on the water. I did see that the 2 Liter drinks were on sale for $1 each. I could buy some cups and about 5 two liter drinks. Do you think that would be okay? If so, which drinks should I buy? I figured I would buy a Coke, Diet Coke, and a Sprite but what should the other two be? More Coke or something else? Should I buy less drinks and another type of snack?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:16 PM on May. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• If it were me, I'd consider buying some fruit and maybe a big bag of pretzels, and just sticking with the water. Maybe the school could make coffee or something. Soda isn't very satisfying for the price, and there's probably a machine where those who want it can buy their own.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:34 PM on May. 5, 2013

• Ballad, do you have any suggestions for fruit?
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 5, 2013

• With only 10.00 to spend, this is tough. I thought of fruit too, but it's pretty costly.
    Is it possible that your local grocery store would make a donation of various fruits, apples, bananas etc.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:04 AM on May. 6, 2013

• We have exhausted all donations from the grocery stores this school year. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 12:08 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I understand that. When our boys were in school I was in charge of donations. Part of being on the PTA board.
    You've got Little Debbie snack cakes, water...how about having coffee on hand? Most adults look fwd. to a cup of coffee. Is this possible?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:19 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I think so. 4th grade is using the coffee for their poetry cafe on Monday, but there should still be some left.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 12:38 AM on May. 6, 2013

• You can always make rice krispie treats. The rice krispie cereal is pretty cheap, so are the marshmallows. They make quite a bit for little money. Here is a recipe for the best tasting rice krispie treats EVER!!

3 Tbsp. butter 1 (10 oz.)

bag of mini-marshmallows

1/4 cup yellow cake mix (the dry cake mix, not prepared into a batter!)

6 cups crispy rice cereal

1 (1.75 oz.) container of sprinkles

Method: Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in (dry) cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined. Stir in cereal and let set —

When I made these for a few people my DH works for, his boss told me if I kept making these, he would promote him!!! They were a hit with everyone, and wanted the recipe. And they made a lot. Especially if you cut them into small squares.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:07 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I think since you already have the Little Debbie being donated, I'd go with something salty like the pretzels, and personally I think the 2 litre bottles are a great idea. Plenty of adults drink coke/diet coke or sprite for a pick me up, with water you have variety, and if you can add the coffee you're more than covered.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 AM on May. 6, 2013

• Can you make some big jugs of sun tea instead? Just have sweetener on hand, which you should have with the coffee anyway. That would be cheap and go a long way.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:49 PM on May. 6, 2013