Has anyone here had Sciatica?

Is it absolutely nessecary to go to the chiropractor? Will its resolve itself? Can you recommend any exercise, etc.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 6, 2013 in Health

• Yes, I had it when I was pregnant and it did eventually resolve itself. I've never been to a chiropractor. I mostly just did stretches and gave it some time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:18 AM on May. 6, 2013

• Yes, I have and you don't need to go to the chiropractor. what you DO need to do is rest your back. It needs rest to heal. The more you rest it the faster it will heal.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:47 AM on May. 6, 2013

• Time & stretches,relaxing!!! but I also did get a few massages from a professional along the way.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:09 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I still have it. YOGA YOGA YOGA!!!! It helps a lot!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:34 AM on May. 6, 2013

• I've had it since I was a teenager. My hips are uneven is what a chiropractor told me. But I've never had any significant accidents that would cause this. It has always gotten worse when I've lifted something, been on my feet too long, or when I'm pregnant. I used to work in retail so I was on my feet all day and sometimes had to lift and organize lots of merchandise. Carrying a toddler on my hip doesn't help either. It comes and goes and when I've done something to aggravate it, it can take a day or two for it to stop hurting. It can get really bad when I'm pregnant. I've only seen a chiropractor a few times about it and that was years ago but it did temporarily make it feel better. I was supposed to have an X-ray but didn't because my insurance ran out back then. But mine doesn't bother me with just day to day activity. Whether or not it resolves on its own for you probably depends on the cause.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:59 AM on May. 6, 2013

• A good Physical Therapist told me to do this stretch: ‘‘mirror image’’ exercise to
    straighten your back (see Fig. 5). This is called a
    pelvic side shift (see Fig. 6). To peform it lean with
    your upper body against a wall with your side that is hurting out away from the wall. Walk your feet out
    about 2 ft from the wall and place your feet
    together. Then glide your waist into the wall.
    Perform this 8–10 times slowly. This should be done
    a few times a day.
    This worked for me as I had pain down one leg only...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:12 PM on May. 6, 2013