Dark green baby poop and milk allergy???

My 5 month old has had dark green poop for a couple of months - it just occured to me that it may not be normal??? Also - he is very fussy, does not sleep well. Could he be allergic to his formula?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:52 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was allergic to milk and her poop was really dark. I think they said it was from her stomach lining bleed ing due to irritation. Her poop was so runny when they took a sample they had to cut it out of the diaper because their was no solid. Save a diaper and run up to the doctors office and show them, they will be able to tell you right awy if it is blood.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my first DD's poo was runny and dark green and it was normal for her. as long as it is green and not bloody i don't think there is anything to worry about. all babies are diff. my first DD had very loos stools and were much diff in colors, my 2nd DD had thick very stinky poos, but both were normal. if you are concerned you should deff. go to the docs. and take a sample. but i would think if he was allergic to something that there would be more signs than this. he may have colic... his digestive system might not be ready for the type of formula you are using...

setliff

Answer by setliff at 12:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would try switching her to soy first. If she doesn't improve within a couple weeks change her to Nutramigen or Alimentum. In very rare cases even these formulas will not help an allergy. If I hadn't been able to BF DD would have needed a VERY expensive formula called Neocate. The proteins are broken down to the smallest size and so are easier to digest.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Have you had her poop tested for microscopic blood? Is it mucousy at all? Is it rancid smelling? If its just dark green, that in and of itself is not cause for concern. If its mucousy, slimy, bulky, rancid smelling or bloody, then you have reason to be concerned and talk to the doctor.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 1:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009