If I was in love with somebody 17 years ago can I still be in love?

We had not seen each other for 17 years. Maybe 18. We recently discovered each other via the internet and spent the day together. I still feel like I love this person even though many years have passed. Is this possible? We are both single. There are no spouses in the equation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 6, 2013 in Relationships

• I suppose it's possible.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:52 AM on May. 6, 2013

• If you are truly "in love" with someone, that never changes. I hate how people who get divorced say "I'm not in love with him/her anymore." No, you were never in love. Anyway, yeah I can see how you can still be in love since it never changes imo.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:58 AM on May. 6, 2013

• No, I don't think so. It's been 17 years with no contact, you have no idea how this person has changed or who they are now. Take things slow!

Answer by missanc at 11:09 AM on May. 6, 2013

• You're probably in love with the person from 17 years ago. Not saying you can't still love the person, it's possible, but you need to make sure you are looking at who the person is NOW, not what they WERE. Either way, be honest with yourself about this person and give it a try!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:26 AM on May. 6, 2013

• Right now your in love with the memory. However, that doesn't mean you can't develop a new and lasting relationship with him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:28 AM on May. 6, 2013

• True love never dies.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:14 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Well over the last 17yrs I've heard a guy I knew has asked about me ALOT. The weird thing is that I was 12 yrs old and he was 14 when I knew him. I was out once last fall and saw his mother with his brother's wife and heard her tell her mother in law "that's the one *name* always talks about." His mom smiled at me and told me my daughter was beautifuI. I don't get it. I blew him off because I met him through my step sister who was quite a drama whore, so when I didn't trust her anymore I didn't want anything to do with any of her friends either. He waved to me last yr when I passed him driving. I am a completely different person now at 29 than I was at 12. I don't know why he still thinks he knows me. He's still cute as hell and at my age now I'd give it another shot if I wasn't married. Pay attention to who he has become. It may be even better than you remember or he may be someone entirely different.
    Anonymous

• You are in love with a memory of what was, which may not be accurate.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Well, go with it and see. Obviously there's a spark. Whether it will blaze up, who knows?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 PM on May. 6, 2013

• You're probably in love with the person from 17 years ago. Not saying you can't still love the person, it's possible, but you need to make sure you are looking at who the person is NOW, not what they WERE.

This.
    Anonymous