Did you ever win a cruise through a drawing? I have some questions but I meet with them tomorrow...

We entered at our Mall to win a car or $50,000. I knew there were smaller prizes but didn't think much about it at the time. Well they called saying the drawing for the car and money wouldn't be till December but we won the Cruise. It's for the 2 of us, 4 days and they are even paying our flight to Florida. I have never been on one before. I know we are responsible for our ride to the airport and to the ship after we land. They told me we pay taxes which range from $189-220 a person depending on the time we book. A recording afterward mentioned Port Charges and something else that we would also be responsible for. It sounds like we would still need to have at least $1,000 for it to be safe. They pay all food and drinks on board except for alcoholic beverages.

Are there any other hidden expenses that we should know about? I'm afraid they'll let something out and put us in a situation. We have a year to use it and we register/talk to them about it tomorrow. We don't pay anything til we book. I prefer the money or car. I'm not excited about this because I need a car right now so it feels like a waste to spend for a cruise.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 12:01 PM on May. 6, 2013 in Travel

• Be careful! There are a ton of hidden expenses. I won a cruise like that and went for it, but I ended up paying almost a thousand dollars to book, and now the cruise is paid for but I may not have the money for passports and airfare, and so I might lose the cruise if I don't take it this year and the money I spent to book will go for nothing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:11 PM on May. 6, 2013

• I think that sounds about right. Of course you'll want money for souvenirs, tips, and spending money in case they port somewhere and you wanna explore, shop, or eat somewhere other than on the ship. But if they told you about the taxes and the port charges that sounds about right. Ask them tomorrow just to be sure, they won't lie to you if it's a legitimate contest/travel agency.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:06 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Oh and congrats!!
    maecntpntz219

• $1000 will cover everything.
    May times you can get a shuttle from the airport to the port- much cheaper than a cab.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:08 PM on May. 6, 2013

• You will need money to cover tips, then port charges and taxes. You will also want money to do any excursions off the boat, gifts and things like that. You will need to get passports as well. Cruises are expensive even if you aren't paying for the actual cruise. If you don't want to go see if they will convert it into a cash prize instead of the cruise.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:06 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Tips, which can be a couple hundred dollars and on some cruise lines are a mandatory charge not an optional fee based on service.

Answer by missanc at 1:06 PM on May. 6, 2013

• yes, passports are another thing. we don't have any.
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Thank you so much girls. Anything anyone can tell me in this will be so helpful because I know nothing about it and I don't want to keep money put back for it when I could've used it to get a better car. We have $4,000 in the bank so using 1/4 for something like this doesn't really thrill me. Maybe it'll be "worth it" but we aren't extravagant people and I would feel better taking the kids somewhere for a vacation on that money.
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 1:19 PM on May. 6, 2013