Should I take my 18mo old to the hospital after a 102.8 fever this morning?

My son woke up with 102.9 fever at 6:30am. It is not 11:30am. Alternated Tylenol and ib profen. Last rectal reading was 102.1. Doctors is all booked for the day. He is drinking fluids, no other symptoms that I've noticed besides teeth coming in which I think triggered the fever. He is 18 months old. I did notice what I thought was a heat rash on the back of his neck yesterday. Do I see emergency room in my future? Advice please...

Kessa1116

Asked by Kessa1116 at 12:35 PM on May. 6, 2013 in Kids' Health

• What does it go down to with meds?
    ER's are not suppose to be used as walk in clinics. Don't you have a quick care type place near you?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:37 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Urgent care would be best. Some medical centers also have a time to bring in sick children, no appointment needed.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:38 PM on May. 6, 2013

• if the fever doesn't go down at all then take him in, other wise keep doing what you're doing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:39 PM on May. 6, 2013

• You should call his pediatrician. Emergency rooms are for actual emergencies. Call your Ped and discuss your child's symptoms with the Dr. or nurse and they can tell you if you should stay home and treat the fever, if they want to see you in their office, or if they feel its an emergency and you should go to the hospital. Fevers alone are not always worthy of an ER visit.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:39 PM on May. 6, 2013

• It went down with Tylenol to 100.1 then spiked back up. IB profen was given at 10:30.
    Kessa1116

Comment by Kessa1116 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 6, 2013

• Doctor's office is booked? WTH? I'd bring him into a quick care place like butterfly recommended. Then I'd be looking for a NEW Pediatrician. I would not bring him to the ER, But have him seen by a Dr. today. My kids never ran a fever that high from teething.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:40 PM on May. 6, 2013

• He could have roseola which gives them a high fever and they break out in a rash. Google it. I agree with the others, if you need to go somewhere an urgent care would be best.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:41 PM on May. 6, 2013

• I seem that roseola. I thought that could be it. Hoping the medicine helps. Ill def make an appt but if it goes up ill have to take him in
    Kessa1116

Comment by Kessa1116 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on May. 6, 2013

• If there was any way to keep his fever down with meds, liquids, coolish baths, and cool treats like popsicles, etc then I wouldn't take him to the ER. I worked in one for years, and it seems like the little ones pick up bugs in the ER and just get sicker. If he's not dehydrated he will be ok until you can get to your doctor, or an Urgent Care clinic. I know those places have germs too, but the ER just seems especially "viral", and the little guys pick it up. At least, that was my experience working there. GL momma!! Those unexplained fevers can be scary.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:07 PM on May. 6, 2013

• I wouldn't take him. Just let him rest and give ibuprofen. No reason to annoy him with the doctor unless it doesn't go away in a few days. The rash is probably a virus. They can't even treat a virus.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:14 PM on May. 6, 2013