Does she need to go to kinder or would I be better off homeschooling her until she can enter first grade?

My daughter is supposed to enter Kindergarten this year. I went to register her and was looking at the curriculum. It is insanely easy. My daughter is already doing MORE than what they want them to do at the end of the year! She is adding double digits with regrouping and is reading small chapter books. She is also writing short 3-4 sentence stories. Granted her handwriting is not great but for a just turned 5 year old I guess it is what her fine motor skills are up to.

I guess I just wonder if she should go to kinder at all or if we should just wait to enter first grade next year when the work gets more challenging. I would continue to perfect the skills she has already mastered and work on her handwriting. My county does NOT do skipping. We already talked to them about that. 'It is not in the child's best interest'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on May. 6, 2013 in

• Kids also learn how to wait their turn, get along with different personality types, adjust to days without a parent there, and a whole slew of other skills that are not academic in nature, but still needed for the school environment.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:50 PM on May. 6, 2013

• I'm in the same boat with my 4 year old. He could be in 2nd or 3rd grade with what he knows. I am putting him n kindergarten and I am going to see if he can go into another class for reading. I am also going to ask the teacher to challenge him while in class. I think it is important for him to start with all of his other classmates as he will be singled out already because of how intelligent he is. it is really a tough situation to be in. Especially when where output live does not have he resources for gifted children. :(. good luck to you and your daughter!!
    Anonymous

• How is your daughter socially? Does she know how to play well with other children? Keep quiet in class? Get through an entire school day without a rest time? Stand in line? Sit and listen for more than a few minutes at a time? First graders usually learn all of these skills in kindergarten. Academic intelligence is one consideration, but not the only one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:13 PM on May. 6, 2013

• What about her socialization skills?
    Taking and following directions?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:43 PM on May. 6, 2013

• I feel kindergarten is important because it's so much more than academic at this age. Kindergarten is when they learn what to expect from a teacher, and how classrooms operate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:10 AM on May. 7, 2013

• My daughter has been in a clasroom setting before. She attended a useless year of pre-kinder and takes piano lessons as well as attending Awana club and regular playdates. There are million ways for a child to be social and learn how to follow rules set by another adult.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I would homeschool her. She sounds like she is active, independent and outgoing.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:01 PM on May. 7, 2013