Should i keep babysitting? My daughter is so jealous

My oldest daughters bus driver asked if I can babysit her granddaughter she has custody she needs me until the end of summer and then next school year. She is 2 and a half then my daughter is 21 months. My daughter has a 5 and 8 year old sister's she is fine with and plays with them fine and the neighbor kids fine. When my 5 year old nephew is over she is fine and my 2 month old nephew she is fine with me holding him but for some reason she is so mean and jealous of this girl. The second day I babysat my daughter bit her and left a bruise. She gets so mad when the girl sits by me (even if my daughter is on my lap) when my dd is on my lap and the other girl comes to sit beside me my dd will push her away and try to sit beside me so the girl can't or if she comes to sit on my lap my dd will run and get on my lap. My dd tries pinching her and everything (she does get disciplined) but what concerns me is she is sooo good when it is just her but then when this girl comes at 930-5 my dd is so different all she does all day is cry or whin but before she comes and after she leaves she is herself again all smiles and everything. This is the 3rd week of sitting so I don't know if I should continue to do it so she gets use to it (babysitting) or do forgive up and say I can't do it? I actually give my dd the same attention as if this girl wasn't over.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:06 AM on May. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• Keep going. Your daughter has experience with kids either older than her or much younger than her. She's not used to someone her same age.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:55 AM on May. 7, 2013

• It sounds like your daughter needs for you to keep sitting--at least until she learns how to deal with having another child around who is her own age and sex. But if you decide to do that, you will have to be extra watchful to make sure she doesn't harm the other child. It's only been 3 weeks, so I probably wouldn't give up on it just yet, but you may need to change the means of discipline in order to make it work. Your daughter is at the age when these kinds of problems are at their very worst. I know that doesn't help the situation, but the timing here is key!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:19 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Good time to teach some social skills. I'd keep babysitting. Of course, intervene so no one gets hurt again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Your daughter is definitely jealous but she needs to learn that biting/hitting etc. are not okay.
    I would NOT stop yet, be patient but firm with her and explain to her that this little girl needs somewhere to go and you're going to take care of her.
    This is a great time to teach her about getting along with others before she starts preschool in a couple of years!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:36 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Ok thank you. I just was lost at what do do I feel so bad cause she is like a totally different child before and after she leaves.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Just my older 2 were never like this lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Thanks ladies. I will continue doing it then
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Maybe try doing some of your daughter's favorite games or activities when the new little girl is over, but not when she's gone home for the night. Only let your daughter participate if she's treating the other girl nicely. In other words, sweeten the deal a little bit for her, and make being jealous unattractive. I know she's pretty young, but maybe there are games or videos or songs she especially likes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:32 AM on May. 7, 2013