Thin and faint blue line.....what does this mean?

Hello everyone.
So here is my situation. My partner and I had un protected sex 15 days ago and I am now 12 days late for my period. I did a test today in the afternoon and it initially looked like a negative, after a few mins though a very faint and thin positive line appeared. The test instructions stipulate that the positive line must be the same thickness as the negative line for a true positive reading. I suppose I could be having an irregular period...or perhaps imagining things?? Any advise would be great! I'd love to be pregnant but don't want to get hopes up yet

Katerina106

Asked by Katerina106 at 9:13 AM on May. 7, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• Well it can depend on several things. Did you test with first urine of the morning? Did the line show within manufacturers time frame? It's "supposed" to be the same thickness, but any line at all, within the time frame, would indicate some HCG is present. Was the test past it's expiration? I'd re-test in the morning if you are still missing a cycle.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:18 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Wait a couple of days and test again with two different brands. And define a few minutes later. Tests should be read within 10 minutes, not after.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:16 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Take a test in the morning. Follow directions. If it's still a faint line then you might want to call the Dr.'s office to see if they can do a blood test to verify whether you are pregnant or not.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:22 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Thin and faint can be very early pregnancy. Take another one in the morning.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I would test again but this time with the first urine in the morning. Even if is a faint line if it appear withing the time frame the test mention it will be a possitive. Good luck!
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:27 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Faint lines can definitely be a sign of early pregnancy. Mine looked like that when i was a month pregnant. I would definitely test again to be sure. Maybe go to the dr and get a test? They're usually pretty cheap. Like a previous answer said... tests should not be read after 10 mins. Good luck :)
    dimples2k13

Answer by dimples2k13 at 9:30 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I agree, retest in the morning, Faint line can mean your pregnant.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:40 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Do people just NOT read the instructions that come with these tests? They are usually found on the back of the box or even on a little piece of paper within the box...... I'm pretty sure that they state HOW to read the tests as well as when the tests become invalid etc. IT's been a few years but I"m pretty certain they even gave advice on what to do if the results were difficult to read or the test was inconclusive.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:20 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Did you use the first urine of the morning? Test again in a few days, or see your doctor for a blood test. If you are pregnant, consider asking the doctor to check your HCG levels because some women have trouble maintaining pregnancies due to low progesterone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 AM on May. 7, 2013