Pneumonia is going around my sons school...

If he were to catch it would I be able to tell if he had it, or is it easily overlooked because it's similar to a cold? What are the symptoms?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 9:35 AM on May. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• If he catches it you will know. Make sure he washes his hands often. Some people get hospitalized for it. How bad he would get infected would depend on how strong his immune system is.

Most people who develop pneumonia initially have symptoms of a cold (upper respiratory infection, for example, sneezing, sore throat, cough), which are then followed by a high fever (sometimes as high as 104 F), shaking chills, and a cough with sputum production. The sputum is usually discolored and sometimes bloody. Depending on the location of the infection, certain symptoms are more likely to develop. When the infection settles in the air passages, cough and sputum tend to predominate the symptoms. In some, the spongy tissue of the lungs that contain the air sacs is more involved. In this case, oxygenation of the blood can be impaired, along with stiffening of the lung, which results in shortness of breath.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:14 AM on May. 7, 2013

• At times, the individual's skin color may change and become dusky or purplish (a condition known as cyanosis) due to their blood being poorly oxygenated.The only pain fibers in the lung are on the surface of the lung, in the area known as the pleura. Chest pain may develop if the outer aspects of the lung close to the pleura are involved in the infection. This pain is usually sharp and worsens when taking a deep breath and is known as pleuritic pain or pleurisy. In other cases of pneumonia, depending on the causative organism, there can be a slow onset of symptoms. A worsening cough, headaches, and muscle aches may be the only symptoms.

Children and babies who develop pneumonia often do not have any specific signs of a chest infection but develop a fever, appear quite ill, and can become lethargic. Elderly people may also have few of the characteristic symptoms with pneumonia.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:15 AM on May. 7, 2013

• The above answer from Medicine.net

It's not something to take lightly.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:17 AM on May. 7, 2013

• My Son had walking pneumonia this winter. It started with a cough then as the days past he turned a funny grey color & had bags under his eyes. He ran a very low grade temp on & off. I brought him to the Pediatrician who was covering for our regular one. She said he's fine & there is nothing wrong with him. Then he started coughing during the night & within a day or two he coughed one night for 8 hours in his sleep then vomited. I took him the next morning to the regular Pediatrician & his lungs were filled with fluid. He went on an antibiotic. Then a week later he said his ears hurt & we went back to have his lungs checked & he had a double ear infection. Went on a different antibiotic that covered both issues & he was fine in days. They call it walking pneumonia because you can function fine with a mild cough during the day. Cont:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:30 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Cont: the bacteria that causes it is the same as the one that causes bronchitis, it just depends on where it lands. In the lungs or upper respiratory. Regular pneumonia is caused by a different bacteria that can cause hospitalization. He is 6. My Daughter in 1 and at the same time, she got bronchitis & an ear infection as well. She went on antibiotics too. So if a hacking persistent cough arises, Maybe vomits from the gagging, the child looks washed out, low grade fever & tired then it's pneumonia.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:34 AM on May. 7, 2013

• If I knew pneumonia were going around my child's school and he developed a cough you can bet I would be at the drs office! My 15 yo son had a friend of his die from pneumonia a year ago. His parents took him to the hospital, but it was too late.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I agree with Missanc--when in doubt, check it out. The worst that can happen if you go to the doctor and your child doesn't have pneumonia is that you waste time and money on the visit. But if your child has pneumonia and doesn't get looked at, the consequences could be a whole lot worse.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:07 AM on May. 7, 2013

• My odd and ydd develop pneumonia every year. If they have any symptoms, it is a persistent but not severe cough, and sometimes a moderate fever. Once though my odd has not had any symptoms, it was caught when we took her to the doctor for upset stomach. She told him it hurt to breathe, and she had severe pneumonia.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 7:21 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Hit button too soon...if you are concerned, take them in. Better to over react than under react and regret it. Last bout if it had gone on any longer without detection odd would have been hospitalized.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 7:23 PM on May. 7, 2013