What do you think of this laptop?

My laptop died last Monday. It was an HP g7 1219wm. It overheated and killed the CPU. It was only 2 months after the extended warranty expired- talk about frustrating! Since then, I have discovered that this is a common problem with HP and lots of people have problems with them overheating and dying just after the warranty expires.

Obviously I want to stay away from HP, but there was a sale at a local store for a HP g6 for $399, down from $469. I'm all about the sales, so I went to check it out. They had an ASUS right next to it for the same price, and I've only ever heard good things about this brand. So what I'm getting at, I suppose, is which would you choose? The specs are roughly the same, both have 4g ram and a 320g hard drive(not a serious issue, since I have a 500g and a 1tb external drive), both have similar processors. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on a great deal here. The HP g7 I had previously was definitely not the best computer I've ever had, but I suppose it was reliable to a point. TIA!

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 10:36 AM on May. 7, 2013 in Technology

• From what I hear, ASUS is a good brand. HP isn't as reliable as it used to be, from what I can tell. I have an Acer now, after my HP went nuts.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:45 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I LOVE my ASUS laptop!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:49 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I have had very good luck with my Asus desktop computer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:53 AM on May. 7, 2013

• I have only heard great things about ASUS.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:55 AM on May. 7, 2013

• Thanks so much to everyone who answered. You have reaffirmed my decision to get this laptop! I was worried, since HP is such a well-known brand, but ASUS is in the top three for quality(only 16% of ASUS, Acer, and Toshiba combined have to have service in the first 3 years of ownership) and customer service, while HP is on the bottom, with 30ish percent of their laptops being sent in for service or having some type of serious problem.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 11:37 AM on May. 7, 2013