Do you plan structured exercise into your child's daily routine?

If so what and do they enjoy it?

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 1:32 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Health

• When they were younger, we spent endless hours at the park, both winter and summer, playing outside, playing inside, going for walks, nearly always moving. As they got older, they were both involved in organized sports pretty much 12 months out of the year so they remained active that way.

My son did karate, soccer, football, and track from the time he was 5 until he graduated high school; loved them all. In addition, he always worked out at a gym (still does). My daugher did ballet, gymnastics, cheerleading, and track; she too absolutely loves it all!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:35 PM on May. 7, 2013

• My child is a mover, so I've never really had to worry about her getting enough exercise. I pay for the weekly PE class in her pre-K, and we go out to the park or bike riding almost every day when the weather is warm enough.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:36 PM on May. 7, 2013

• what age?
    Young children NO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:37 PM on May. 7, 2013

• it's more spontaneous really. we go for a bike ride or a walk everyday, and most days on top of that we also throw in a trip to the pool or playground. we also spend 60% of our day outside. we don't live a sedentary lifestyle by any means.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I use to when they were smaller....We did the head shoulders knees and toes thing lol and we would walk....hula hoop and things like that.I dont know how yr cable works but on ours we have music channels not the video ones but just like they are radio channels but we can access them through the tv and they have a kids station that plays nothing but kids songs some are silly some are fun some are soothing anyway my kids used to love to dance to those. NOw my daughter has the wii and we have dance games so me and her do that, we still go walking and my son moves from the time he gets up in the morning to the time he goes to bed lol so he does his on exercise.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 1:38 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I'm going to homeschool next year and I am considering different options for PE... even without that specific consideration there is a large school of thought that believes even if your children are a healthy body mass it is helpful to get them in the habit of setting aside time and making exercise a priority. I was just wondering how what we do in my home stacks up to everyone else. We do a lot, but it's hard to fit it into the routine - I am trying though.
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Their exercise is running around and being a kid. As they get older I will encourage sports/dance. i will not allow them to sit in the house watch TV and games all day.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:42 PM on May. 7, 2013

• No, unless you count his 15 minute twice-a-day recess breaks at preschool (which I kinda do).
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:48 PM on May. 7, 2013

• structured no. but they run around the house like maniacs about 30% of the day and i let them play whatever they want in the backyard whenever the weather cooperates. in the backyard we have a kiddie golf kit, a small soccer goal and about 15 different sized balls. little kids will figure it out on their own.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:56 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I homeschool, and no, I don't plan structured exercise into their day. They are more than active enough on their own. If a day comes when they seem to be more sedentary than active, then I'll definitely consider changing things, but right now, they do so well on their own that trying to structure it would probably hurt more than help.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:59 PM on May. 7, 2013