Do you think shows like Sofia the First, fail at teaching acceptance?

Because I know that is the goal of the show, but if you listen to the songs I think it fails at this attempt.  My kids love this show and the songs, but if the goal of Disney is to teach acceptance and how "anyone" can be a princess, I think it fails with its songs about how you're supposed to act, dress and talk.

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 2:13 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Entertainment

• I think it does a pretty good job. Like when Sofia does the horse durbey, the troll episode, and when Sofia first starts school. I don't really think I've paid that much attention to it though so there could be other things in the shows that cancel those out lol. I always keep in mind that it's really only for entertainment purposes and not to rely on TV to teach dd important lessons, but I think shows like that can be good conversation starters and sometimes have a good message.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:25 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think it does a great job from what I have seen.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:27 PM on May. 7, 2013

• My Sophia loves it because she thinks it's a show about her. But I don't think it actually teaches her anything besides to twirl in a dress, to be honest.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:34 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Like anything, it's a place to start. If you plunk your kid down in front of the show and expect her to learn something, she'll learn how to twirl in a dress. But if you use events on the show to start conversations--notice the word "conversations" instead of "preaching"--and let your child think through the messages about accepting others, some good can come of the TV experience. I don't care for the whole princess obsession with hair and dresses, but my daughter likes princesses. Still, she's more of a tomboy princess, she identifies with Dora more than Disney.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on May. 7, 2013

• True, Ballad. I just learned in Media and Society how now a days producers don't necessarily how to think, but WHAT to think about and this show definitely tells parents (more than the kids) what to think about as far as what is acceptance and what isn't.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 2:54 PM on May. 7, 2013

• producers don't TELL us how to think...is what I meant.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 2:55 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I don't think it's a fail at all. My daughter LOVES Sofia the First. Just the other day we watched the slumber party one. Amber (the sister) invited some of her snobby princess friends ans Sofia invited some of her "common" friends from the village from before she was a princess. Amber and the other princesses were bothered by the lack of decorum in the village girls, and pressured Sofia to make them more like the princesses. Everyone wound up miserable. At the end though, when everyone acted themselves, and not something they weren't, everyone had FUN.

I don't rely on TV to teach my kids anything, except maybe how much garbage is on TV at any given time. It's a decent way to get ideas on how to have certain conversations with my kids though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:46 PM on May. 7, 2013