Pissed the teacher off...again

Ok so my dd's 1st grade teacher recommended that I hold her back b/c of her reading grades. We had a conference today and she showed me the stories they had been testing on. Half of the f*cking words in some of these books were in Spanish. And those were the ones she scored low on. Well no shit! We don't speak Spanish, we are not Hispanic. Dh and I are going to try to learn it to help us a little on our jobs (when I get out of school) but it's not spoken at my house. My kid isn't taking a Spanish class at school so why in the hell does the teacher think she should know these words? I told her today "well, we're not Hispanic so I don't know why you think she should know this" she got mad. really? Would you expect your kid to know "sight words" in another language if it is never spoken or written at your house? She is a nut!

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 2:59 PM on May. 7, 2013 in

• I would be pissed, especially since there was never any previous mention of needing to read/know Spanish words to pass.

I'd go over her head to the principal to find out if it's a requirement, and if it's not, I'd demand something be done. If it IS a requirement, then I'd be demanding to know why the first mention I hear of it is AFTER my child's grades have been so severely affected.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:19 PM on May. 7, 2013

• It does seem odd, unless Spanish culture and language was part of the course of study and the teacher had specifically done lessons on those Spanish words your daughter didn't know. In many places, a bit of Spanish is being incorporated into school classes just because there are so many people in the country now who speak it that knowing a little of it is a good skill to have. But no, I wouldn't want to hold my daughter back a year in school if she had no trouble reading and writing in English.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:04 PM on May. 7, 2013

• No. I would not expect a first grader to know Spanish sight words unless that's what they have been practicing in specific. They learned a few words in preschool but they weren't reading them, they were reciting them (numbers 1-10 and a few easy words like Hola and the like). That's ridiculous. I would ask that they give her another assessment in English only.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:14 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think that if it is Understood at the beginning of the year or upon sign up that this is a school that teaches bilingual reading then yes, you need to work harder, but it is a little odd that this is the first you are hearing of the bilingual reading, shouldn't there have been a spelling list or something?

P.S. I think it is awesome that she would be learning to read both languages, it could be really beneficial in her future.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:06 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Is the teacher herself spanish? You might need to go to over her head and ask and do some research that if this is mandatory teaching in your school. There have been incidents with some of my kids teachers in the past where the teacher was teaching what she wanted instead of the curriculum assigned and when it was addressed both teachers were fired. She only suggested that you hold her back right. IF she is making excellent and doing good in everything else I would give that teacher a middler finger and move my kid up. I have never heard of them teaching spanish in so young a grade and if you ask me she may just be picking on yr child. There are some teachers that shouldnt be teaching in my book.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 3:07 PM on May. 7, 2013

• The only reason for my child to be down graded on nn English words would be if it were a test in the languages class.
    I would be furious and go to the principal and the board over something like this. I would get other parents involved.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:07 PM on May. 7, 2013

• That's a thing now....teaching Spanish to all kids. My son just started Kindergarten this year and they are teaching Spanish. I think it's hard enough for them learning to read and write without having to learn a new language! Hell, I don't even think he understands that there are different languages! lol.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:34 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Crafty.26

Answer by Crafty.26 at 8:04 PM on May. 7, 2013

• baconbits I have a 3rd grader... my kids don't have to do anything like that to pass!!
    Crafty.26

Answer by Crafty.26 at 8:07 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I'm laughing at Crafty! I think it's ridiculous, you should talk to the principal.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:12 PM on May. 7, 2013