What if you have a child that has no clue on what is going on?

No matter how much you talk and spank and dicipline. I give up (not really I love my babies) I just need some direction on this...Help!
It's like they like us being negative towards them...strange kids...?

They are doing less than ok in school...they work good with me but at school I am not so sure :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If they aren't doing good in school I would get them tutoring. I would find more unique ways of punishing them. My 16 just got caught cutting school and I not only grounded him I made him write a 1000 word essay on why he's not going to do it again. (it was pure torture for him)
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Have you had your child evaluated for developmental delays? How is your child with peers? Is he talking? I'm not really sure if I understand "doesn't know what's going on." Is your child withdrawn?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You said it in your post. You aren't positive with them. Kids need positive reassurance when they do stuff right. If you start catching them doing things the right way instead of always doing the wrong thing, your kids will try harder to do right...
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Most of the time, kids will do anything for attention. If they are not getting attention and praise for doing or behaving well, then they will misbehave just to get the attention. It is not that they like the negative attention from you more, they just want attention of any kind. If you want a behavior to stop you either ignore that behavior or give a consequence for it. Most importantly, catch your child behing good as much as you can and reward or praise the good behavior. Keep rewarding the behavior you want more of. Stay consistent and you will see a change. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My step daughter is the same way. I started to feel horrible because it was like we were always spanking her. Now, we just make her stand in the corner. That really seems to affect her more than a spanking ever did, plus it is better for our frame of mind. I do agree with LovetoTeach find something positive and praise, praise, praise, really make a big deal out of it. Two years later we are finally starting to see some improvement. You must be consistent!
    Anonymous