How effective is membrane stripping? adult content

39 weeks- I will be induced on Thursday. I have gestational diabetes and I've been dilated to a whopping 5cm since LAST Monday. (This obviously is not my first rodeo!) I had been getting irregular contractions for over a week now. In 2 hours I have the option at my midwife appointment to have my membranes swept. I've never had this done before and I've read mixed reviews on it.
I'd rather go into labor without AROM on Thursday IF possible, however, if the membrane sweep is just going to leave me feeling crampy and crabbier then I already am- I'd rather just wait it out. Your thoughts/opinions? I'm going back and forth on whether to have it done, or just wait 2 more days for them to break my water.

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 3:45 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• It worked for my first, did not work for the other two. Now I wonder if I would have just gone into labor with my first anyway.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:53 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Did Not work on my first, but with my second child, coupled with sex, did the trick! I had a Big contraction as I had my orgasm super sexy right. Went to the hospital 3 hours after the first contraction and he was born 2:45 later!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:18 PM on May. 7, 2013

• A friend of mine had this done with all three. With number one she went into labor the next day. With number two her water broke during the process and with number 3 she went into labor that evening. I guess it worked well for her...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:32 PM on May. 7, 2013

• it is painful to have done but i went 2 days later. u might think im crazy but stimulate your nipples as much as possible to the verge of an orgams and do it as often as possible while u walk around the house as fast as ur body will let u and do this until your nipple are numb. TRUST ME IT WORKED FOR ME TWICE. babies were two weeks early. trust me on this one
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 8:27 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I went ahead and had it done. She took a long long long time doing it (3-4 minutes) and ocntractions intensified immediately. She said she'd be super surprised to see me make it to Thursday morning. So... fingers crossed!
    MamaCarterof5

Comment by MamaCarterof5 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on May. 7, 2013

• If your body is ready to start labor, it works. if your body is not ready, it won't work. Just like anything else out there.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:48 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Good Luck! I personally would rather have my membranes stripped than have a chemical induction. Hopefully with you being 5 cm already that your body will be ready and will respond.
    Anonymous