In the world of social media and the real world...

Do you think it says a lot about your friendship with someone if they don't like any of your posts? You've been friends since high school and you're always liking an commenting on their posts, but they never like or comment on yours. Do you think (in the context of social media meets real life relationships) it says a lot about how much that friend cares about you?

For instance, I have had some really good things happen to me in the last year, but my friend since high school never comments or likes any of my posts. Yet she just had a baby and I like all her posts about her new baby, etc. Do you think that says a lot about her contribution to our friendship? Can a social media site define a relationship between friends who have known each other for years?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 4:25 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe she is not into the liking stuff. Maybe she mostly posts and reads. Do you talk in real life? Why would you need the universe to know she "likes" you post?

I think it says more about you than it does about her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:30 PM on May. 7, 2013

• No. I don't think social media has any correlation to real life relationships. A lot of my friends are pretty active on social media. Me, on the other hand don't really feel the need to let everyone know what I did last night or where I ate for lunch this afternoon. I can't even imagine people wanting to know that stuff. But that doesn't mean that I don't care about my friends and what is going on in their lives. Not to mention social media isn't always the best place to lay your life out for social inspection.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:31 PM on May. 7, 2013

• If that friend was liking everybody else's posts but mine, I can see a reason for concern.

Has she congratulated you in other ways, like by phone or in person?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:40 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Oh, and regarding her not commenting on your good fortune, maybe she feels enough of a disconnect that she feels a little uncomfortable commenting to you. I suppose I might feel different if it were a person that I had been close to in the past but haven't talked to in a while. I have several of those on my friends list. I like things that are important to them, but I don't generally comment.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:46 PM on May. 7, 2013

• anng,

No she never says anything about what's going on in my life unless I'm complaining about my marriage. If it's something positive she doesn't say anything. And we rarely talk in person and if we do the conversation is mostly centered on herself.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 4:50 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Quinn,

That doesn't make sense to me since I have people whom I never met like and comment. So I guess I don't understand. I mean I've always been supportive of her life on and off facebook yet she fails to show the same support for me.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 4:52 PM on May. 7, 2013

• The idea that your friend only wants to talk about herself when you do converse, or that she only comments on your life when you are complaining about your marriage, says more to me about the friendship than her FB habits.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:03 PM on May. 7, 2013

• What bothers me the most is that she doesn't see it.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 5:05 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I don't "like" posts. Nor do I even notice if someone "likes" mine. If the "like" button was to vanish this second, I wouldn't miss it.

I suspect your friend and I have a lot in common. You're reading too much into this, I think.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I don't "like" a lot of posts simply because they show up on other pages as "_____ ____ liked the following" And I dont want everyone to know my personal likes and dislikes, or I dont want that friend's personal message to show up on someone else's page. For instance, my sister is friends with a lady who had a very premature baby last October. My sister likes almost every comment this mom posts on FB bc they are truly awesome. But they show up on my page, since my fb friend (my sister) has "liked" them. Now I know everything about this new baby, and I have never met her. To me, that is creepy. So, I don't click like on a lot of stuff. TMI in my opinion.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:31 PM on May. 7, 2013