A question for blended families ...

I have a stepson who comes to see his dad and stays at our house every other weekend during the school year and most weekdays during the summer, plus school vacations. It's always been this way, since before my daughter was born. She's five now, and she adores her big brother. But it seems that lately, she's having more trouble than she did before letting him go and transitioning back to not having him around when he leaves for his mom's house. I've noticed her acting out a lot and also moping after he goes home, and she attributes most of her tantrums and unacceptable behavior, when asked about it, to missing her brother.

So, what can I do? There's really no way to change the arrangements right now. He'll be around more for the summer, and she's also signed up for five weeks of day camp, so she'll have other things to do besides hang on him all the time. I bought a recordable storybook that he read aloud for her, but that's really all I can think of to make this easier on her. Has anyone else come up with some great ideas I might be missing?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:27 PM on May. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wish I knew! My older 3 only go to their dad's EOWE so it's not as bad, but my younger 2 miss them so much. I have found that not having them around when I drop the older ones off at their dad's makes it a little easier, that they aren't having to physically see them walk away. My older 3 have phones now and we do make short calls to them using oovoo so they can video chat with them when they aren't busy. Other that that, the only other idea I have is to have him give her a stuffed animal of his (even if you have to go out and buy him one) to "take care of" while he's gone, so she gets it when she's gone and when she misses him she can give it a big hug and extra cuddles?
    It's hard!

Answer by missanc at 6:13 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Have him to call her when hes gone.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 7:08 PM on May. 7, 2013