Has anyone ever groomed their own dog?

How hard is it? I have a Shih Tzu and her hair gets out of control really fast in the summer. I saw a grooming kit and I'm thinking abĂ´ut getting it I just don't want waste my money and never use it. She's used to going to the groomers and if she ever gave them a hard time they didn't tell me. She's used to me bathing her and brushing her but I don't know how she would react to me trying to give her a trim. What do you think? Should I try it?

Hollyhock.

Asked by Hollyhock. at 7:04 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Pets

• My 2 cents as a groomer- The length of hair really has little bearing on how hot a dog is when they are single coated like a shih tzu, its more weight and how hot it is in general. What would you be looking to do between grooms if you intend to still take her to the groomer? If it's her face, most groomers offer face trims a la carte. At my current salon it's only 5-10 dollars and can add time between grooms. My word of caution would be to be careful you don't ruin her for grooming and that dogs can be like kids in some ways. They learn what they can do and how to get you stop doing something and sometimes are better behaved at the groomers. Some can be complete angels with great table training for the groomer but be a devil for owner.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 10:10 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Is your dog generally calm or skittish? Does she sit still for you to brush her? If she does, then the grooming kit might be a good investment. But if not, it's probably going to be more stress than it's worth.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:11 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Don't groom it your self! It's sooooo much work, unless you have an easy (not much fur) dog, if your dog has a good amount of fur and you don;t want to pay $60 go to pet smart they do a great job!
    ajohnson29

Answer by ajohnson29 at 7:28 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I have a Boston and they are easy. Yours is not. Take her to a groomer. You will be happier. BTW you should still brush her every day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:54 PM on May. 7, 2013

• She would still go to the groomer. This would be for trims in between so I wouldn't have to take her as often. I like to keep her hair short in the summer so she doesn't get so hot.
    Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 7:59 PM on May. 7, 2013