what can i do to strengthen my daughters immune system?

my daughter is constantly sick, shes 3 years old and started daycare nine months ago, i know it takes about six for their immune system to adjust, but im starting a new job next week and she again is sick. i've tried vitamins before but with no success, how can i help stop this vicious cycle? is there a stronger childrens vitamin im not aware of yet?

gabriellesmomma

Asked by gabriellesmomma at 12:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Beyond regularly scheduled vaccinations, (including an annual flu shot), I recommend eating a balanced diet (eliminating as much fast/processed foods as possible) that includes vitamin rich foods and probiotics (yogurt) will help. Then just having your daughter washing hands/bathe frequently.

I am a proponent to letting kids play in the dirt and use antibacterial cleaners and disinfectants as needed. Kids need to be exposed to dirt and germs in order to build their immune systems--there are far too many antibacterial/sanitizing products out there that IMO do more harm than good in the long run.

If all else fails, have her tested for allergies! She may have an allergy to cleaning items, fabrics/materials, dust, mold, or even common food items, which may be running taxing her immune system.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• at that age and being in daycare she will catch everything she comes in contact with, the good news is the more she is exposed the more her body will build an immunity to them, which is a natural process. Keeping her hands away from her face and washing hands often is best to prevent catching every cold, teach her to wash her hands after going to the bathroom and before eating. By the time she hits school, colds will be less and less or not as bothersome
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Balanced diet and keep her comfortable when she gets sick. Unless you keep her in a bubble she's going to get sick. Her getting sick will help her build her immunities.

Teach her to wash her hands, sanitize when needed, blow her nose, cover when she coughs/sneezes, etc....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Good food, proper sleep, lots of hand washing. Those are the biggest.
    If she is always tired and cranky, then she isn't getting enough sleep and that will weaken her immune system. Did you know that most preschoolers get an hour less sleep each day than kids did 20 years ago? Needs haven't changed but schedules have.
    Be aware that too many of some vitamins will weaken her immune system - not strenghthen it. Vitamin C is one of the most abused vitamins. Too much doesn't just make expensive pee - it lowers your resistence. Other vitamins can cause far more harm if too much is taken.

If you are currently giving her a children's chewable, read the label. Most of them say that 2 and 3 year olds need to take a half tablet. Are you doing that? If not, start. If you are, try giving her a 1/4 tablet instead. Any drug store will have pill spliltters you can buy - about $5.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old duaghter who knock on wood, is rarely sick. She is active and around other children alot as well but I can personally say based on my child and others, she has been drinking an all natural immune booster drink since she was 6 months old called GoChi, the Himalayan Goji Juice. My husbad and I drink it and we do not get sick as often and my husband works with children. So I started giving my daughter an ounce a day with water and it works for her as well. When a family or friend's child is prone to sicknesses, they try the GoChi and see immeidate results as well. So I wanted to share it with you. As for a vitamin, my daughter also takes a daily vitamin. I now use DinoPals (from same company as GoChi). Please review the online at www.gobcus.freelife.com and let me know your thoughts.
    Cakes524

Answer by Cakes524 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Bee pollen! :) Google the health benifits. I give my kids a spoonfull every day.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am a mother of 4, registered nurse. I have always given my family supplements of some sort. I came across this company from a friend and have done some research on it and i am quite impressed. The products are outstanding!. I have not had a cold, flu or virus all winter. This one product modulates the immune system and another balances the body's ph. Body PH is important in staying well. Take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily    www.tgw247.com   Email me for further info  jmcansler@gmail.com

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 5:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009