Parents of teens Is this too harsh for a 16 year old who has broken this same rule over and over....

Okay so we are really struggling with finances right now. I use to give my kids [I have two] 3 dollars a day now I know there are some parents who have to shell out more and I am so sorry cause I know it adds up and gets expensive. So I told them a couple of weeks ago that we were gonna have to go down to two dollars a day. I know they can get snacks easy that way. Gatorade is a dollar and chips are like 75 cents. I was giving them three because the soft drinks they like to drink are like almost two dollars. Well they have been fine with that. Okay there have been a couple of times where I had to give my dh a five dollar bill because I didnt have anything smaller and I told her to bring the change home for her to use the next day. Well she always has an excuse of what she is spending it on. Sometimes I wonder if she is stashing the change away but cant prove that just yet. Like I said we are struggling and just trying to cut back on expenses. So today I gave her an extra two dollars because there was gonna be a dodge ball tournement between coaches and highschool boys and it cost a dollar and I didnt know how much concession would be seeing as that would be considered their snack for the day.But I expressed again if you dont have to spend it all then dont and bring me the change well she ended up spending the whole four dollars anyway and didnt even pay to go to the dodgeball thing. So I told her since she has broken this rule several times that her punishment is no snack money tomorrow is that too cruel for a sixteen yr old.?? What would you ladies do!! She is a healthy child and so I dont think missing one snack is gonna hurt her but then I worry about her getting hungry in the middle of the day and not doing well on her work but they dont have snack time in her group till like 2 anyway.

Fairymom32

Asked by Fairymom32 at 8:22 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• You should take a different approach, try explaining the snack they buy are really bad for their body then use your money on things like a refillable water bottle and apples. Then give an allowance every two weeks (a small one). explain that is all they get and they have to learn how to spread out the money all on there own. This will teach a proper lesson on how money really works. You get paid every two weeks not every day. And what the hell every girl should babysit on the weekends. It keeps them out of trouble and they learn how to be responsible adults.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 1:37 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Seriously, you think not giving her extra money is too harsh. You have to be kidding me? My kid wouldn't be getting money for snacks everyday. If she wants a snack have her take something from home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:25 PM on May. 7, 2013

• If its 2 a day for 5 school days, that's ten dollars. Tell her that at whatever point in the week she reaches ten dollars she it's done and will have to take snacks from home. Teach her to budget and be responsible
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:42 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think no snack money tomorrow is a logical consequence for not returning the change you asked for.

Go to the bank and get a bunch of ones so you always have the proper bills for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:29 PM on May. 7, 2013

• At 16 she could be babysitting or helping other people and earning her own spending money.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:24 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Holy crap that was hard to read. She is 16! She doesn't need your snack money. She can get a job.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:49 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Not harsh at all. Think about it, if you spend the money today you need for tomorrow, then you go without. And packing snacks will save you a bundle, especially beverages.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:04 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Ever hear of water. She does not need a snack at school
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:22 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I'm going to agree with the ladies that said she can bring a snack from home. I wouldn't be shelling out an additional $2 per day on top of all the money that I spend on groceries for snacks, especially when you are struggling to pay your bills.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:26 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I was lucky if I got $2 for lunch not snack lol.

I think it is logical consequence but in my house it would a week at least without snack.

I also agree that if money is tight why are you giving money for expensive snacks instead of buying in bulk and having her take it to school??? Don't you know how cheaper it would be?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:39 PM on May. 7, 2013