What do you think of a 12 yr old boy learning to wash clothes..

I am determined to prepare my son to be independant just like his sister but hubby says that 12 yr old boys shouldnt be washing clothes....What do yall think.

Fairymom32

Asked by Fairymom32 at 8:24 PM on May. 7, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd say it was about time! My little sister is 6 years younger than me, and when she met her now-husband at 18, he did not know where to put the dirty clothes when you wash them, what to add, or how to turn on the machine. He also did not know what raw eggs looked like- when my sis went to make him breakfast one day, she asked him to help her, and he was grossed out and shocked about the raw eggs. We still make fun of him for that. He was raised to believe that a woman is supposed to do all that(thankfully he's not a total douche and actually does stuff around the house when he's home and helps with her DD, but his mother is terribly unhappy about it lmao). I'm raising my sons to be self-sufficient and they know that they are just as capable of doing things as girls are.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:09 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I already started having my 7 yo boy help with his. Yeah, a 12 yo should have no trouble with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:26 PM on May. 7, 2013

• That's when my husband started washing his clothes. His was more of a realization that if he wanted his clothes clean he was going to have to do it himself. He taught himself too.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:28 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think your husband needs to catch up with the rest of the modern world. My 12 yr old son can do laundry, and so can my 9 yr old son. I don't necessarily make them always do it, but they are definitely capable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:36 PM on May. 7, 2013

• uhh,yes he should

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on May. 7, 2013

• Its a good habit for him to learn.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:26 PM on May. 7, 2013

• My boys (and daughter) were washing clothes well before 12. It's not that hard!

Answer by missanc at 8:27 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think it's a great idea.
    One piece of advice, insist that loads be measured, as in no more than a level laundry basket full. My 13 yo killed our washer by overloading it trying to avoid the work of the three loads it should have been! An expensive laundry lesson.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:56 PM on May. 7, 2013

• My son is 5 and pretty much knows how to do laundry and since I buy the laundry packs(the little gel things) he doesn't have to even measure out soap. I still supervise of course but by age 8 he will be fine without me.

In my opinion a child both genders should know how to do laundry, how to cook(at the very least the basics), how to balance a checking account/budget, how to do basic maintenance on a car(change tire, change oil etc), basic sewing, pay bills etc. Before they graduate high school. Laundry and cooking are the first things I would be teaching.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:17 PM on May. 7, 2013

• I think it's a splendid idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:26 PM on May. 7, 2013