My husband became a religious fanatic. We have 5 children and i am devastated? Any advice

Sorry I didn't elaborate on my question.. We are married nearly 20 years and have 5 children. About 12 years ago he became religious on his own. No family discussion. He has one day a week when he can't use any electricity, including driving, turning lights, watching tv, etc. I wasn't happy at the time but didn't really have a choice. I made the mistake of putting my kids in a religious school but until today only one is observant. The past year my husband has shifted more to the right and now says prayers on every food he eats, attends lectures and so on. Spiritually we have completely different views. How can a marriage survive when I don't support his cause. He has all these restrictions on what he's allowed to it. I am seeking advice outside of our community from open minded people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on May. 8, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• What in the world does "having 5 children" have to do with your DH's religious beliefs?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:23 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Are you not sure if you are devastated? I'm not understanding the question mark.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:27 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Yes, go to bed.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:27 AM on May. 8, 2013

• "What in the world does "having 5 children" have to do with your DH's religious beliefs?"

Perhaps she doesn't want him inflicting/imposing his fanaticism on the children?

OP, is there any way you can talk to him about his new found zeal for his faith? About your concerns or about how it will tie in with the family, all that?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:27 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I understand bandgeek but there's no explanation!
    It's hard to give an answer w/o the whole story.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:33 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Yes, it can mean he found religion in his toilet for all we know....

he found religion in the cat food...

He became a priest

He became a Rabi

He wants to be a mormon

I mean there are just to many variables to make sense of the question....

Plus, well, I am just too damn tired for games.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:35 AM on May. 8, 2013

• PMS, we understand each other...

I ♥ you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:36 AM on May. 8, 2013

• It might help if you define what about your husband "becoming a religious fanatic" has devastated you. Exactly how has your life or family situation changed from the way it was before your husband got religion?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I lurve you too m-avi!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:40 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I don't understand the ? but maybe it's not really a fanatic thing mabye it's a mental health issue and he is delusional and really needs help before he hurts the kids..ah man now my imagination is kicking in
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 1:43 AM on May. 8, 2013