How can I get my 28 month old son to start talking? He can say a few works, but shows no interest in learning - he'd rather play with his toys.

He can say Nite-nite, bye-bye, da-da, ma-ma, puppy, thank you, money (sometimes), back, and maybe a couple more. He doesn't even sing his ABCs.

PeggySaling

Asked by PeggySaling at 12:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have learning type toys. there are so many things out there that teach them abcs, 123s, animals, etc. Does he let you read to him? He has a decent vocabulary for 28 months. ive heard boys are a little slower when learning how to talk. I would try lots of educational toys.
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 12:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have two friends both have 3 year old sons and they often come to play with my daughter. They both have very limited vocabulary. They manage to say a few phrases now but weren't talking at all until they almost turned 3. My daughter on the other hand is 2 year, 1 month and she cant stop talking. She makes up all kinds of sentences and bombards me with questions all day long. So I guess its just different for each kid but they catch up ultimately. Unless your doctor is concerned, I dont think you should worry much... once they start they pick it up very fast.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 1:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have a friend who had a daughter who was 2 and a half and she said only 5 words. She went to speech therapy for less than a year and now she talks ALL THE TIME! She is 3 and a half now. Comprehension is the key!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 1:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What does the pediatrician say? Has he/she recommended a speech/language eval? Hearing test? If not, I'd have these done just to cover your bases and put your mind at ease.
    Also, talk, talk, talk to him and read, read, read to him. Strictly limit tv as well. If he does watch tv, watch with him and talk to him/ask questions about what's happening in the program so that you're using tv as a language learning tool.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would have him evaluated.
    It may be that he just isn't interested in talking right now. Remember, a child soaks up language like a sponge. If everything is normal, they don't need lessons - the learn by just hearing you talk.
    If something is wrong though, he will benefit from getting help and the language play that a speech therapist will do.

And most kids this age don't sing the ABC's. By 36 months, most kids will TRY but will still get the tune wrong and get the letters wrong.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009