Vacation without the kids,

We've never been on a vacation without the kids. Not even a honeymoon we couldn't afford one back then. I feel bad leaving them behind. At least when we are going somewhere new. I told my dh if we go on a family vacation this year next year it will be just us. If you go on vacations without your Los was it hard at first?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 9:36 AM on May. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• No. I missed tucking them in at night and giving them a kiss, but we were able to do so many things that they found boring that it just went so fast.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on May. 8, 2013

• We've never done it!! My kids are all adults now, we've never had a honeymoon because we both started new jobs right when we were getting married, then pregnant 3 months after we got married. We haven't had many vacations, so we always took the kids.

We will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this summer, I think it's time we do it.

I say, do it and have fun!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:02 AM on May. 8, 2013

• A little. I missed them of course but I love being alone with my husband too. My parents went away at least for a 4-5 day weekend every year without us, so to me it's pretty normal. My dh and I have only done 3 days at this point (our youngest is 2), but I can see us lengthening that by another couple days as the kids age.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on May. 8, 2013

• mine are 19 and almost 17 and we have never gone on a vacation without them...until last month-we had to go without my daughter, because she is in college, and her spring break was 2 weeks before my son had his.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:09 AM on May. 8, 2013

• The only way I would ever goon vacation without my children would be if we won one for two persons only. There is no way I would ever plan on a vacation without them. The way I see it is that they are part of the package and not just options.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:37 AM on May. 8, 2013

• It was a little hard, but we do periodic nights away while DS stays with my in-laws, so it wasn't as big a deal. He has a ball with them. But when we are away without him, we're always like, "We have to bring him here, he'd love the blah blah blah!" LOL Couple time is so important.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:49 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Nope, DS and I go on vacation for a week every summer, but then his dad has him for my other week of vacation so I go without him. The first time I was out of state without him was a little hard only because I was so far away and couldn't get to him immediately if something happened. Since then, it hasn't be that bad.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:31 PM on May. 8, 2013

• We've been a couple of times over a long weekend. At first it was hard, but mostly on me, not on my daughter. She was with a family she knew well, spoiled, and having the time of her life. Now she can't wait for the log weekend my boyfriend and I are taking later in the summer, so she can go and stay with Casssie again. It's a holiday for her. Still, I don't think I'd want to go longer than a few nights.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 PM on May. 8, 2013

• My SIL does this and I just don't get it. She made a huge fuss of getting pregnant (with all the details for anyone who wanted to listen) and now that he's here she cant wait to pass him to her mom so she can go on vacation with her hubby. Poor kid. Why the rush to get married? You know you'll have less time once you have kids so LIVE all the FUN stuff while you can! Not saying this applies to you it's just a general comment from seeing what SIL does.
    Anonymous

• yes and no. Most of the trips we take without my son revolve around my husband's work but I will occasionally go with him and then we spend his free time together doing things. We did go on a honeymoon while my son stayed with my mother. It was 5 days. We were only 2 hrs away. My son has always spend a weekend or longer with my mother probably nearly every month, so it is normal for him and my husband and I. Yes I still miss him but it isn't a huge deal. We do tons of things together throughout the year.

Just because my son isn't with my 24/7/365 doesn't mean I love him any less.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:12 PM on May. 8, 2013