He had the guts to pour his heart out at 3am. how do i reply?

I woke up to an email from this man i am friends with. i have asked about him before under anon. we had been best friends 17-18 yrs ago and totally lost touch. We have been talking daily for over a month and have gone out twice. i still love him from our teen yrs. we are both single and available. we have had a flirty friendship so far but no physical contact (except a hug). when we were teen we were FWB but never dated.

So back to the email. He basically says he's laying in bed thinking of me. And that it's obvious he's taken an interest in me. He says he's scared of losing our friendship but cannot deny that I am perfect in every way for him. He says he wants to give 'it' a try but take it very slow.

How do I reply to this? Email? Phone call? I know it took a lot of guts to write that and send it without knowing how I feel.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• In person or a phone call. This kind of conversation would be weird in text.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on May. 8, 2013

• i'm terrified too of losing the amazing friendship we have. but i also recognize that we have something special and i want to explore it. This is so scary. And exciting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 AM on May. 8, 2013

• In person on the phone. If you're in love with him. Give it a shot.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:01 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Why is it scary? Just do as he suggested and take it slow. Make sure you are both comfortable with whatever the plans are so it doesn't get awkward. I can see exciting, but not scared. If you go slow and either one of you feel awkward at any point you can step back and retain the friendship. This is what you were hoping for, wasn't it?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I'd want to speak face to face.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:03 AM on May. 8, 2013

• The best thing to do is to be open and honest. Tell him either over the phone or in person you don't know how you feel, that you are open to the possibility, but are scared to lose his friendship.

Guys tend to take our word literally, so you don't want to mislead him or think you're not interested.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:14 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Go to his house and give him a big kiss!
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 10:17 AM on May. 8, 2013

• If he wrote me an email I'd respond in an email. That's just me.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on May. 8, 2013

• If you really want to know if he's interested in you, tell him there will be no sex until after you are married. That separates the boys from the men in a big hurry!! But if you say it, you have to mean it. Otherwise, if all he's interested in is sex, it will all become just a big game to him to see how long it will take to wear you down.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:24 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Oh, and I would send that information in a text.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:25 AM on May. 8, 2013