Anyone have a child in the gifted program at school?

my kindergartner's teacher sent home a permission slip to test my child for the gifted program. she included a hand written note that simply said she recommended her to be tested and i need to sign the paper giving my consent.

i did give my consent because i know my child is bored at school. and because her birthday falls in october and the cut off date to register for kindergarten is september, she had to wait a year and start K just before she turned six. so i think being a little older gives her an advantage especially maturity wise. most of her friends are 7 years old (she's still six but we're friends with most of our neighbors and most of their kids are in 1st grade) and she seems to fit in perfectly with that age group. it's too bad she can't just skip a grade altogether.

anyway i was wondering if you're child is in the program, how soon after you consented did they test your child? were they pretty good about keeping you up to date on the results and the next steps if they scored above average? and how different is the gifted program academically from the regular classes? i know ill need to speak with the school but i was just wondering if i could get any information here. thanks in advance!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:10 AM on May. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This varies from district to district. The tests used by each district can be different, the timing and the standards for entry into the gifted program....even the programs vary greatly.

I've had kids in gifted programs in 4 different districts, and the programs and testing were all entirely different. It can take 2-3 months for testing to happen, although it can be done immediately, it depends on if they do group testing or individual testing. One of the programs put my child in a classroom that was all gifted students. One program had my son pulled out of his regular class several times a week to go to special classes for gifted students, and one program was totally separate from his classroom. He had to go into school early for special classes.

I'd ask the teacher some questions, or ask to see the school counselor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:44 AM on May. 8, 2013

• It varies within our district even school to school. My 6th and 7th graders are classified as "gifted". They both received pullout services throughout elementary school at least twice/week. My 7th grader was in an all gifted classroom one year (a trial that the school decided not to continue, but was great for my son!). They went to two elementary schools, I liked the gifted classes at one much better than the other. The larger school had a full time gifted specialist and I liked that.

Answer by missanc at 10:54 AM on May. 8, 2013

• My oldest is certifiably gifted (and certifiable some days.) He attended a very small private school (DS2 and DD are still there.) The school tested for giftedness in 2nd grade and it was a huge turning point for DS1, DH and I. The program was a once a week pull out program that wasn't just extra work. It used their imaginations to build projects and write stories and go into favorite subjects in depth.

The truth is that he was never bored in his classes and never showed amazing abilities in anything until 6th grade (when they move to middle school and there is no gifted program, but the do differentiate into ability groups.) Now he is in high school and in honors classes where they offer them. He is in the running to be valedictorian. It's scary to see how super smart he and his friends are.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:03 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Our school was offered the money for it last year, they didn't use it, so they lost it. It really pissed me and another Mom I know off. Our boys need something more challenging, and they wasted it only because they didn't think only having 2 in it wasn't worth the trouble...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:18 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I'm guessing our son will be getting tested (he's going into kindergarten in the fall, but he can already read entire books like The Cat in the Hat aloud really fast and things like that). DH and I were both in the GATE programs in our school districts here as kids. I'm not sure how it is where you are, but here, I did half of the day with my class, then at lunch I went elsewhere to go to the GATE class. it was a mix of kids of different ages, and our curriculum was totally different. We learned about Egyptian history, hieroglyphics, astronomy, art, things like that. I loved it.
    I was tested in first grade, and started GATE in second. I was also doing work for the grade above me in first grade.
    They might be able to skip her, too, or at least give her work from the grade above her. It's important to keep her challenged so she stays engaged. I had a hard time learning how to study, because I never had to when I was younger.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:37 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Our school district test them in 2nd grade but the actual gifted/talented program doesn't start till 3rd grade.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:08 PM on May. 8, 2013

• My DD is currently being tested, and she was tested last year as well, and passed everything except the motivation part(lazy little thing! lol). What they told us was that if we gave permission, she would be tested through the end of the school year. We got her form in February. She's already had several testing sessions where they pulled her out of class and let her complete it. She says she's gotten farther this year than she did last year.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:51 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Forgot to add that we didn't get results last year until after school was out. They sent home a letter with the results and how she did on each part.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:54 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Yes, my child is in our gifted program (HiCap, or Highly Capable). He's about to finish his second year (3rd grade) in the program. I'm sending you a PM with more info. I don't have enough characters here to explain it all.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:07 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Ours is a full time program that magnets from all the schools, so a handful of the kids actually live in the area covered by the school, and the rest are bused in. They have the first grade teachers build case files to document why they should be tested all through 1st, have them tested at the end of 1st, and the top X number (however many places they have in the class that year) get invited to join. It starts in 2nd and runs through 6th.

Once they get the acceptances, they fill in any extra spaces, and everyone else who tested above a certain level but didn't get in goes to a 2nd tier program where they are in a regular classroom at their own school, but in advanced reading and math groups in that class.

Our program is entirely project based. They do research projects through the year, and incorporate all their subjects into them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on May. 11, 2013