How do I get my 4 year old to stop waking up his little brother.

He does it on purpose and it gets on my nerves. When I was in the shower my son came into the room to make sure I was actually in the shower. Next thing I know my baby is crying. Other days he kisses him, knowing it will wake him up. All he says is I just wanted to kiss him. This morning I cought him trying to take the paci out of the baby's mouth. Other times he will play with his ears and wake him up. I do not understand why he wants to wake him up. I tried to talk to him and tell him the baby needs his sleep so mommy can have time with him. Told him thats when I get time to clean and make food. He doesnt seem to care.

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 10:12 AM on May. 8, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 1/2 year old does that too. It's just too tempting. Do what you think will help- be it a closed door and a baby monitor or just a more watchful eye on the 4 year old during nap time. I take both kids with me in the shower- baby in a bouncer and 3 year old on the toilet drawing in a journal or singing some songs. I try to get my 3 year old super involved in a toy or game before putting the baby down to nap- but you never know with their short little attention spans what is going to work.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:33 AM on May. 8, 2013

• depending on your parenting style...time out every time he does it or spank his little butt every time he does it. he'll learn
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2013

• a 4 year old doesn't care that you have other responsibilities. maybe he is acting out because he doesn't feel he's getting enough attention? even negative attention is attention. maybe when the baby is sleeping set aside special time with him to do something just the two of you- work on a puzzle, read some books, color a picture together. then maybe he'll see that his baby brother sleeping is a good thing because he gets alone time with you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:20 AM on May. 8, 2013

• My Daughter sleeps in her crib for naps. I close her door & put the monitor on. If I want to take a shower I bring my Son in the bedroom, put the TV on low & close my bedroom door. I have a child proof knob thing on the door so my Son cannot leave the room without me. Then when I'm done, I take him downstairs & we watch a show on TV or I take him for a walk outside to play in the yard. He's super quiet because he want's to go out & play or hang out alone with me so he will not wake her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:16 PM on May. 8, 2013

• When the baby is sleeping spend the time with the older child.

Answer by Bmat at 10:33 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I agree with ILovemyPaulie- when I had a little one still napping and his older brother at home, I made sure to keep the older one WITH me. In the bathroom, in the kitchen while I made him something to snack on, outside to sit on the porch, wherever. He never got the chance to wake up brother. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:46 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I would try a double-edged approach. Time out when the four-year-old wakes up the baby after you've reminded him not to, plus keping the older one with you and spending alone time just with him while the baby is napping. Try getting him involved in cooking and cleaning wit you. He'll love the attention and learn good skills at the same time. Sounds crazy, but my five-yearold loves cleaning the toilet and scrubbing the sink. I have to go and touch up a little behind her, but it keeps her occupied and out of trouble, and she's learning skills she'll need eventually.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:23 PM on May. 8, 2013