Unlawful Withdrawal

I have a friend going through a hard time with her husband. She took out some money to get a night at a hotel and he is threatening to call the cops and sue her for unlawful withdrawal. Is this possible?? She is pretty scared.

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 10:17 AM on May. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• Is it a joint account?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:18 AM on May. 8, 2013

• maybe if it wasn't a joint account. what a prick
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 10:20 AM on May. 8, 2013

• If its a joit account, he's just talking shit.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:21 AM on May. 8, 2013

• If it's a joint account, no. When I divorced my ex (and when I left my ex-boyfriend, who was abusive), I cleaned out the joint account. Knowing it was the only money I would have for a while while they had jobs that would be giving them a paycheck, I had to make sure I would be okay. I had every legal right to do that - just as, if they had beat me to it, they would have had every legal right to do it.

He can call the cops, but unless it's an account with his name only, she's within her legal rights. And even if it is in his name only, if he gave her the ability to access it, he still might not be able to do anything.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:21 AM on May. 8, 2013

• No, they are married. What is his is her's. He is running his gums out of anger.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on May. 8, 2013

• He is probably mad that she spent the money on something like this. I wonder why she wanted a night at a hotel, - they must not have discussed this. Unless she forged his signature, I doubt he has a case as far as the withdrawal.

Answer by Bmat at 10:35 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Let him call the police. As long as it's under both names no problem. Once they talk to her then they'll wonder why he called them in and start to question him about filing a false report which would come back and bite him in the butt!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:45 AM on May. 8, 2013

• He's full of shit.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:51 AM on May. 8, 2013

• They're married. He's trying to scare her. There isn't one thing he can do to her.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:59 AM on May. 8, 2013

• Even if it was not a joint acct, if they are legally married she is entitled to half of what they own....she has the law on her side.....If I were her, I would clean it out the account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just to spite the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on May. 8, 2013