Are there any real Biblical arguments AGAINST welfare??

My fiance's grandfather hates that we are on WIC and medicaid. Every time we visit, he finds some way to tell us that it's a sin to need or use public assistance. My fiance' works more than full time, and I am pregnant and a stay at home mother to my toddler. I CHOOSE to stay at home because I believe the value of me being there for my children when they are very young outweighs having money and material possessions. I am currently attending online school toward a degree in teaching. Now, I found NUMEROUS passages in the Bible addressing how we are to help the poor and needy, but I can't find anything that says it's a sin to accept help. Where is he coming up with this sin stuff? I don't mean to start a debate, but I just want to know where he is coming from and if he has any real ground to stand on when he says that (or if it's just his personal opinion).

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 12:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• sorry this made me laugh...next time he says its a sin ask him"hey how do you think Jesus felt about giving to his fellow man?" that was the supreme act of charity.not a huge religious person, so I cannot support with bibke quotes but i do know that God asked us to be good to each other...I think the old guy needs to look in the mirror and ask himself what God would say to him if they sat for a chat.Do not feel bad for needed help mom, thats why its there and times re hard. To say that to you was the most un christian thing I have heard in a ling time. chin up.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't blame you. I'm doing the same thing. My SO works full time, sometimes overtime and I only work part time while going to school online. We are also on Medicaid and WIC. No there is nothing wrong with what you're doing. You're at least trying to make an effort to get on your feet. Keep doing what you're doing. No one needs to be insulting you and your family.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• how about the story about jesus taking one loaf of bread and feeding the masses? or about him helping the blind and sick? yes jesus did say"feed a man for a day, or teach him to fish...etc" but he still GAVE.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't read the bible so I wouldn't know if it's in there or not but it sounds like it's his personal opinion and I would just ignore him. The next time he bitches about it tell him fine I will stop getting help when you pay for my kids to have medical insurance and you buy our grocery's.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ask him if that means he's sending back all his social security checks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You dont need to answer to anyone about your choices and next time he judges you ask him what Jesus might think of his judgmental attitude and condemnation. To answer your question though yes the bible does speak against welfare, but its all a matter of interpretation I guess. Here are some popular ones I have seen used:
    II Thessalonians 3:6-12,I Timothy 5:8, Ezekiel 16:49-50

Answer by gemgem at 12:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have to admit that the irony here is that, while he says those things to me, he collects a certain amount of social security and complains that he pays for medicare out of those social security checks, but medicare won't cover the cost of his prescriptions. BUT he makes sure that I know that he is ENTITLED to that stuff because he paid for it his whole life. He has a certain point, but still....
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it may be a sin to not accept help.My son gets upset when someone does not take what he offers.He says they are taking away his blessings.Say he offers my daughter $20 and she does not take it,he thinks she is taking away his blessing and he is offended.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 12:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Is it not morally wrong to let your kids do without because of stubborn pride?
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 1:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• but by your husbands work and paying taxes he is paying to use these benefits, how does your FFIL feel about when Joseph was put in charge of Pharaoh's grain storage because of the famine that was to come? should Jacobs son's not went to get any? (Ge 41:53–42:7) and the Bible says that God allows Governments to stand in relative positions so people can benefit when they pay their taxes. Rom 13:6, 7; Mark 12:17

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009